Wossis then ?

Yes, the ones I've used have had.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I said old. :-) a few have said some type of cutters...I hardly thin they will cut anything with a solid body. This is more a crimping tool if I was to hazard a guess.

Reply to
George

You've just deprived George of his coconut :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The coconut still stands till the resulting item has been identified...I thank you. :-)

These could have been specifically made for small canvases?

Reply to
George

The message from "George" contains these words:

They may not be very effective at cutting tough items but they will be conspicuously less successful at doing just about anything other than cutting.

So Geoff what do they do to a sheet of paper?

Crimp what? Blades coming together in a V will mangle or slip off if they don't cut cleanly.

Reply to
Roger

Tin,Copper?

Reply to
George

The message from "George" contains these words:

They might indeed cut thin tinplate or copper sheet if the material is not too tough but they can't roll a lip, or otherwise press 2 sheets together except at the point of contact where the prongs mate up like scissor blades.

Reply to
Roger

If you'd ever stretched a canvas, you wouldn't even _consider_ that this tool was any sort of canvas stretcher. Canvas needs to be evenly pulled, to keep the grain straight, which is why a very broad-jawed tool is used.

Reply to
S Viemeister

In message , geoff writes

First thing I was reminded of were these:

Reply to
bof

Wasn't there one on Antiques Roadshow or one of the 'Flog your heritage for peanuts over a lunch-hour boot sale in the Attic challenge' a while back? Victorian baby food masher ISTR.

Reply to
grumpyat

In message , Mary Fisher writes

10/10 for stating the bleeding obvious
Reply to
geoff

In message , George writes

Now, that's a novel idea

Reply to
geoff

In message , Roger writes

As I said in the original post, I'm forwarding it from UKRM where everyone's equally stumped

I don't have it, so I don't know

Reply to
geoff

In message , bof writes

Yes, someone posted that in UKRM

it seems a bit over engineered for that

Reply to
geoff

In message , geoff writes

Seems like someone actually knows (whether tis true or not dear reader ... dunno)

"Thin metal (copper/brass) tool to segment the edge of a lid, to fit into a boiler type affair, for permanent joining...if you know what I mean?

This is the right answer (ish) its for joining two equal diameter tubes by forming a crimp in one of them so it will slot inside the other "

Reply to
geoff

The message from geoff contains these words:

First suggestion possible. Second no chance.

There is no clearance between the blades. It will cut (or not as the case may be) rather than deform.

It would have to be a bloody great tube to get more than one blade inside it and using the tool that way couldn't have the claimed effect. There are tools to swage out pipe ends but I am sure they look nothing like this tool.

I think Bof had it right. They are probably early shredding scissors. Whatever they are their designed purpose can only have been to make multiple cuts in thin material.

Reply to
Roger

Well kids are well known for eating worms:

or:

Reply to
bof