Worst Tool Abuse / Misuse

I never ever knowingly had an icidence of anything ...

Our hammer was a coal hammer, I still have it. It says 'COAL' on it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

While waiting to attend the dentist:

I used a signal-generator, and two stainless spoons with cling-film across all but the end of the handle, across the gum, in order to kill dental pain. IIRC about 500Hz squarewave at 1V worked best.

It took it from a stage where paracetamol/asprin made absolutely no difference, and I was wondering if I had a suitable hammer to remove the tooth, to being a slightly odd dull feeling in that part of the jaw for several hours.

AKA TENS.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Works impressively on front teeth. I tried to use it for surgery, but I didnt get enough anaesthesia on the back ones.

But, tooth pain is a condition where treatment must not be delayed, as a septic socket can lead to septicaemia.

Araldite has been used before for diy fillings, I'd avoid the rapid stuff though. Well, I'd avoid all of them, its not medical grade. Also cleaning out the cavity properly is important. Epoxy and glass powder is one form of white composite filling.

Instead I'd go with colloidal silver, which can clear up the problem entirely.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Oh! I've never thought about a tens for toothache relief, thanks. I'll try to remember that.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

About 120 quid for the basic unit and 15 quid for the blades. I think it would be ideal for cutting the bottom of skirting in situ though.

The blades are around 2 inches wide (x 1/16 inch or less) with around

24tpi. I have some 5 inch wide timber framed partitions upstairs sat on 2 inch joists, to get temporary access underneath I can cut through the floorboard right up to the skirting with no damage to the paint or adjacent boards, then screw a noggin to the existing joist and put the original floorboard back in place. A 2 joist length in the middle of a run can be cleanly removed and replaced in about 10 mins. Apart from a very narrow gap where the crosscut is on the board you'd never even know it had been touched - which is more than I can say for the chiseled out/ circular saw/ hand floorboard saw attacked ones I've seen. On top of all that its a pretty good edge/detail sander too.

Interesting variation - not sure I can easily remove the foot from mine.

Reply to
Martin Evans

True, it was just for a few hours, and I had an appointment with the dentist.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

applying tens to the head is not advised. The electrical anaesthetic is fine as long as its applied across a tooth, but apply it across the whole head by mistake, which is easily done, and you could have some real problems.

I used a lot more than 1v. Whatever you use it must be current controlled.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I do kinow that ... :-)

Still worth a go I reckon. not that I want to have the condition to test it ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not a tool as such but I once used an early Automatic washing machine as a cement mixer. It was one of those that had a plastic device which enabled different programmes by inserting it on different sides. Hoover keymatic I think. It had been semi abandoned for a later model .For a one off use it did quite well.

And getting fed up with the Bruan multi thingy cluttering up the drawer and using it to blend and stir 2 pack epoxy paint probably counts as tool abuse as well.

G.Harman

Reply to
g.harman