Worst Household Chores ?

Hi folks, just wondered what the general opinion was on the worst household chore. Got to be a two horse race between cleaning the inside of the windows and cleaning the oven.

We are considering taking on an Oven Cleaning franchise but are curious about the market. Would you pay =A340 to have someone overhaul your oven ?

Chris

Reply to
chris.suzi

Whats wrong with cleaning windows? I like cleaning windows once a week I find it a doddle with the right stuff.

As for the oven 3 times a week clean, reduces the build up of fat and again using the right cleaner.

Tsk,somepeople have money to burn.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

From the limited research I did a while back it appears:

  1. Many franchisees have great trouble getting sufficient work.
  2. The results of an oven clean are usually very good.
  3. People are sceptical an aren't willing to risk £40.

Try asking on the forum:

as there'll be a few oven cleaners on there.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

Yeh, i figured the so called going rate of =A340 was high as quoted by 'The Franchisee'. Your loyal to your oven if your prepared to stick your head in there 3 times a week.

Reply to
Krusty

Three times a week?? Once a month should be quite sufficient! (waits..)

A tin of Mr. Muscle costs a couple of quid, and a roll of kitchen paper not much.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I may well pay a bit more than that if came up like new, but I guess from the price that you envisage doing this in situ in something under an hour. Unless the process is truly amazing, I can't see that's possible. I think reconditioned gas cookers from a shop are dipped in a caustic tank and steam cleaned, so they really are spotless, but I guess you need a tame Corgi to do the connections. Why do you need to pay for a franchise? The chemicals probably aren't anything special.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Putting the bin and recycling out at 7.20 am in the freezing cold because you'd forgotten the night before.

I wouldn't pay anyone to clean the inside of my oven.

Why a franchise? Why not just start a business doing one-off revolting household chores?

Reply to
mogga

Some people cringe at cleaning fat off an oven,

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Probably is ok,but fat is a haven for bacteria. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com contains these words:

Cleaning my oven takes about three minutes - lift off the door, slide out two of the three panes of glass and clean 'em - then wipe the ledge under the door where the crumbs collect - slide the glass back in and hook the door back on.

There's no way I'd ever pay someone else to do it.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

The inside of ours doesn't seem to get dirty - and it's not one of these posh self-cleaning ones, either. Perhaps it's 'cos we don't cook much greasy food in it - mostly it's baking and steaming or casseroles with lids on.

Reply to
Guy King

Given that you can't get anyone to come to your house to do *anything* for £40, I'd say that figure is way too low. Preparation and clean up has to take an hour without the actual cleaning. There was a thread on here recently suggesting that commercial oven clening firms use a citric acid gel. That would certainly make the whole thing a lot safer and easier, and it appears this is how you gel a strongish acid

if citric works, one wonders why domestic oven cleners are all caustic based aerosols, which have to be about the most dangerous things you can buy off the shelf in a supermarket.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Not at oven temperatures

Reply to
Stuart Noble

As a follow-up on the citric theme, it looks like Citri-Gel is an engine/gen purpose cleaner used in the auto trade. Anyone got any kicking around they could try in the oven?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

In the past we've used them on rented flats and they do a brilliant job - bring the cooker up like new. I suspect that they use some seriously nasty chemicals.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

No of course not. =A340 for an hours work I think I'll do myself.

Why ever would someone consider getting involved in a franchise for that? Cant understand it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

=A340 doesn't sound like much for a one off clean once in a lifetime..but I wouldn't use it as a regular thing as I may as well just buy a new oven every year and avoid cleaning it altogether...so question is whether it's a sustainable business model..

Ant.

Ant. snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote:

Reply to
Antix

ROTFLMAO. But then, we did once look at a house we were going to buy and the current owners were self employed wheelie bin cleaners!!!

Some people have money, some have sense. You can work out who has more of which.

If you can make it pay then good luck to you. i always like to see fools parted from their money.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Rodding the sewage inspection pit in someone elses house.

Dynorod - worth each and every single round pound.

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Cleaning up after one of the kids has puked and didn't get to the toilet in time.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq