worktop problem

The laminate worktop my sink is fitted in has just developed a problem any advice would be helpful and appreciated. The underside of the front edge was sealed about 30mm from the front edge using some sort of clear strip. This has come off in part and the laminate has lifted from the chipboard. This is a fairly new problem as I only put fitted it in january.

Is there an easy way of reattaching the laminate and maintaining a waterproof seal. Obviuosly this is where water may come over the front edge from the sink so I am concerned about the possibility of the chipboard rotting. Also as it is a 3m length of wrktop i which is a pain to cut out i would rather advid fitting a new top for a few years.

thnaks

Reply to
chris n

If the laminate has come away from the chipboard it's way too late. Sounds like a new worktop to me.

Question is, how did the water get into the worktop for this to have happened? If water has gone thru the underside that must surely mean another contributory reason like a leak, or the worktop is standing in a puddle. Water doesn't pool on the underside of a worktop.....

PoP

Reply to
PoP

What I did when I noticed this happening (fortunately the early stages) was to take a dremel with a sanding drum, and cut off all the protruding expanded chipboard. Then, cut a little gutter in the underside, to discourage any drips, and painted the rough surface with several coats of a wood sealer product. Seems to have worked.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Water has not got into the worktop yet, at least it feels dry.The seal has come off somehow in about a 3 inch piece and i think that its the edge of this that holds the laminate down hence the laminate has lifted slightly. I was thinking of using a metal or plastic strip screwed in to hold the edge in place and then sealing that somehow

Reply to
chris n

You could drill some small holes in that area and then squeeze some pva adhesive in. Stick some cramps on it whilst the pva dries.

Might not be a good solution though.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Eh ? I can't picture this. What clear strip ..

The exposed edges of the one I just fitted were covered in some form of PVA to seal it. Where I cut it, I re-sealed the openings and the sealed edges.

Well, he could try a salvage job with some contact adhesive, but I suspect you're right.

In the original post he said it wasn't that old, so the chipboard may not be too blown.

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
Zymurgy

Normally the laminate top surface lifts when the chip gets wet and swells. But if you stop any further wetting you could at least prevent things getting worse.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton