Worktop Jigs

I'm referring to kitchen worktop jigs similar to this one:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 953
Is this jig really worth the 99.99 they seem to ask for them? Maybe I'm a bit cynical in my old age, but it looks to me as though this price is OTT for what the jig offers.
However never having used one perhaps I'm underestimating how useful it would be.
PoP

You can't possibly do a decent worktop join without them (unless you have serious woodworking skills). You simply have to own or hire one.
Christian.
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:43:43 +0100, "Christian McArdle"

Sounds like a good enough reason to own one then. Wonder how I've got by all these years?
Found this on ebay this afternoon:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item#42105486&category 781
PoP
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:18:33 +0100, Tripe Master
Polypropylene. Eugh !
message

You definitely need one AND a half-way decent router in order to make a good joint. If doing it professionally, you would soon recover the cost many times over - but if you're doing just one kitchen on a d-i-y basis, it's probably cheaper to pay someone to do the joints for you.
Unless I'm missing something, it can't possibly *cost* anything like 100 to make the jig - so someone is making a massive profit simply because people are prepared to pay for the usefulness.
Roger
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:43:43 +0100, "Roger Mills"

That was my feeling.
PoP

people
Mine too.
What I have always wondered is -
As the router is the ideal tool to make a copy of this jig how come you never see anyone selling them for 20 made out of MDF or similar?
I would have thought it would be a fairly simple task to rough it out with a jigsaw then make a precise copy with a bearing guided straight cutter.
Sean
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:19:48 +0000 (UTC), "Sean Delere"

Alan Sugar, get your arse over here..... ;)
Can't help thinking that guy on ebay that I linked to earlier might have gone down this route (pun intended). 45 is a whole lot better than 99 in my view, and quite probably still has a profit margin of 44. Or maybe profit margin of 45 if the extra postage charge is healthy.

What's the betting this jig is covered by copyright law?
Seems to me there's a big untapped market in this particular area for someone who has a bit of patience. Hmm..... ;)
PoP
message wrote:

there was a guy offering jigs made from 6mm birch ply with locating pins for aroun 30-50 quid and now 1/2" routers are available from 55 quid.. seems like, with the increased interest in diy, that this gap has been noticed. Just a matter of time before it opens up and the market leaders with have to fall in line. I reckon
I agree around the 100 mark does sound like a lot of money for a tool you may only use once or twice unless you are a kitchen fitter. Plus you will need a decent 1/2 router so unless you already have one the cost of a couple of joints does sound very expensive.
I guess what you are paying for in the jig is the fact that some one has worked out all the bits you need to do. It may cost you alot more than 100 if you mess up the fitting of the worktop.
My view is I am saving money by fitting myself allowing me to buy a better quality kitchen so why ruin it in the last stages with a naff joint at the corners.
I just bought the Trend Combi 66 from D&M Tools (http://www.dm-tools.co.uk ) for 89.99. It is well made comes with instructions and slightly smaller to most jigs I have seen so should be easier to store.
As others have said if you know this is a one off job why not hire the jig.
Once you've got the jig & bits you can always earn yourself a bit of beer money by fitting worktops for friends etc, or you could hire your own jig out.
Eric.
message

I just checked the D&M tools web site and couldn't find the aforementioned. Closest I came was:
http://tinyurl.com/lrzx
Which at 139 is rather more expensive so it can't be the same item. I found this one too:
http://tinyurl.com/ls2c
Seems more likely, but 98.99 - includes TCT cutter.
Could you confirm the model number please?

That is an option.
PoP
Cutting a worktop joint is a bit like riding a bike, easy when you stop falling off.
Get it right first time, pay someone who knows how
--
regards
Dave Batter

What is your catchment area? Do you cover Reading?
I have 2 lengths of Iroko that need to be cut to length, rounded over, with a Belfast sink cutout and some cutting around some window architrave that mustn't be cut itself. No worktop joints (for tis a galley).
Christian.
Sorry I have not replied eariler but not had access to the net.
The jig I got was the Trend Combi 66. I got mine when I popped into the store. I think the jig is fairly new and may not have been included on the website yet.
See here for the Trend site for details: http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/combijigs/combi66.shtml
Just double checked my receipt and the cost was actually 85 (inc vat and not exc as per trend website) and not the 89.99 I previously stated. A 1/2" shank 2" cutter was included free of charge.
Give them a call.
Eric.

(http://www.dm-tools.co.uk )
jig.