Worktop Jig

Page 2 of 2

Yes, I used to have to do this when taking test equipment and the odd replacement computer part to various countries.
One thing that I usually looked forward to was having to go through the red channel at customs. If I was lucky (quite often), they had just hauled someone in there from the green channel, and they were having their luggage disected and examined with a fine toothed comb, and that was always a good 15 minutes worth of entertainment value whilst I waited to get my rubber stamp...
--
Andrew Gabriel

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 31 Dec 2003 15:04:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

It's when the rubber gloves come out that you know that it's going to get really entertaining. :-)
Some years ago I needed to take some equipment to Olivetti in Ivrea, so flew into Torino complete with carnet.
The customs official, who had enough scrambled egg on his shoulders to feed a regiment, had the largest rubber stamp pad I had ever seen, together with a rack of at least 30 rubber stamps.
There was a space on the form of about half A4 for him to use, and then underneath the same again for the next customs administration which was to be Austria. The Italian official managed to use about 20 of his rubber stamps and covered the whole page.
When I got to the border crossing at Brennero, the Austrian official was not at all amused and went off and had a row with his Italian counterpart who then proceeded to stick a blank piece of paper over the bottom half of the form for the AUstrian to use. That wasn't acceptable to the Austrian, who then argued that he could read all the Italian stamps and that therefore the continuity in the form wasn't there. I was able to telephone an Austrian colleague who came up from the Austrian side several hours later and sorted it all out by paying some duty to Austrian customs.....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
βœ–

Not when they are dealing with your case it isn't!
Haven't been thru this myself so I can't comment based upon personal experience. But I imagine that someone wanting to stick his finger up your orifice might not be the most enthralling situation to contend with.....
....although I suppose for some it might be looked on as a positive development. 'Nuff said.
PoP
βœ–

Nope. You are allowed £145 in "other goods" when entering from a non-EU country, duty and VAT free.
http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/notices/1-pocket.htm
In more detail, the rule is that you are allowed this in items up to this value, but you can't use it against part of the cost of a large single purchase. You can't pool allowances between travelllers either.
So a £120 purchase would be duty and VAT free. This wouldn't work for internet or other distance purchases. Duty on tools varies between about 1.7% and 2.7% IME, the big amount being VAT.
In practice, I have found the Customs people are pretty fair. For example, if I have returned with, say, up to about £300 worth of stuff, they will typically ask whether I have any alcohol, tobacco or perfume. I never do, so they will often then just let the whole thing go.
Even with larger amounts, they typically only charge the VAT and round the numbers down.
On one occasion I had some computer goods that I had purchased to use in my company. Really you are supposed to do a Merchandise in Baggage declaration but I simply told them what I had. They asked if the company was VAT registered (it is) and then said that they would let the whole thing go because it made no sense to process the paperwork twice (import and reclaim). It wasn't a large amount, but I felt that that was very sensible.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
βœ–

Devil of a machine is it ? ;-)
snip

I've had one permanently fixed in a table this few years now. No problems to date. A high speed router spindle for a Felder machine is on the way so this set up will be redundant soon, or maybe not.
Paul Mc Cann
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:08:12 +0000, Paul Mc Cann

I thought that Elu was more of a God of Thunder...?
But yes, it's very smooth in operation, especially the plunge action.

Do you mean the gizmo that drops into the spindle position? I've specified one for mine, but I have a feeling that a small router table is still going to be useful for small work.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
βœ–

You did get my drift here, didn't you ?

snip
At £339 a pop I wol;dn't call it a gizmo. ;-(
Its a complete replacement spindle with replaceable collets on the head.
I won't throw out the router table for a while but I have a strong feeling that the accuracy of the spindle moulder fence, digital readout on the heigt adjuster and fence plus tilting spindle and the 'Multi fine adjuster' will make the Felder the machine of choice.
Time will tell
Paul Mc Cann
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:38:55 +0000, Paul Mc Cann

There was more? Please explain.

It's in their Christmas special offers at £229 ....... I had a call from their sales guy before Christmas mentioning it.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote: snip

Its coming to me as a prezzie, along with a few other things. Santa was nice to me this year.
Paul
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:30:59 +0000, Paul Mc Cann

You've obviously been good. :-)
When you get the router spindle, please let me know how you find it.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
βœ–
Andy Dingley wrote:

It is not necessarily. Tufnol is laminated paper fibres impregnated with phenolic resin.
Printed circuit board is laminated glass fibres impreganated with epoxy.
Canoes are laminated glass fibers impreganted with polyester resin.
All of these could be described as 'laminated fibre board', as could cardboard, plywood and a zillion other materials.
Not MDF tho. Its not really laminated...
Add pictures here
βœ–

This is cheap marketroid-speak we're translating.

Tufnol is linen cloth with phenolic. Paper and phenolic is Paxolin, which has similar electrical properties but minimal mechanical strength.

Canoes are blown or rotationally moulded polypropylene these days - GRP is _very_ old tech for canoes.
-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Andy Dingley wrote:

I stand corrected sir! You are completely right...been years since I saw either...

Showing my age again...

Add pictures here
βœ–
Hammer Chewer wrote:

Well spotted!. I guess the dear ones (around£100) are metal and this is only fibre board (MDF??). The first job would be to make a copy in 1/4inch half hard aluminium using a router to follow the profile after the worst has been cut out with a jig saw. This might sound a horrid thing to do with a router but one with decent power and speed control,used slowly with everything clamped up tightly and a bearing guided TCT cutter will do the job. A cheapy cutter will suffice rather than your best Trend one!
You can either use this as your jig for the worktop cuts or use it as a master to make more MDF jigs and flog them on Ebay to defray your original costs and time. The economic viability of this will vary with personal taste and amounts of spare time available!!
Bob
--
To Reply directly to my mailbox, change myisp to ntlworld

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:31:39 +0000, Bob Minchin

If used to make additional jigs I'd say there's no real harm in cutting your master copy in MDF which is cheap compared to aluminium. If you use the MDF version to make 10 copies and it then needs replacing it wouldn't be a big deal.
PoP
βœ–

The Silverline worktop router jigs are made from HDF, laminated on both sides. HTH.
Add pictures here
βœ–

And you can recommend? I need to cut some dumbell slots for connectors. And do they sell to individuals?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:31:39 +0000, Bob Minchin
Autocad and a water-jet cutting shop