Worktop Jig

Anybody got, or used, one of those Silverline jigs? The one sold by toolstation for £27+. I am looking into buying a jig and with these been cheaper I am considering one. Are they worth buying or am I better off investing more in another 'quality' brand, i.e. Trend, Axminster, etc?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

If used carefully, these kind of jigs are OK for an occasional or one-off job.

One thing to watch is that the jig and slots are large and long enough for the cuts and angles tha tyou need to cut on the size of worktops that you have. With some, angled cuts to form corner sections can't be done.

Also, do make sure that you have some good and strong clamps, a good cutter set like CMT and a decent 12.7mm router. There really aren't decent 12.7mm routers under about £150, with the Freud being a good choice around this figure.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

If you had to choose between the £30 and £100 quid jigs and £85 or £150 routers youwould be better to put the money into the router unless you did them every day.

The Tollstation.com jig from Silverline is big enough to do 900mm worktops.

Reply to
Ed Sirett