Worktop Edging Strip - where can I get it.

I have bought two lengths of Beech Butchers Block style laminated worktop from B&Q to install in the utility room. With each comes a short length of edging strip, just enough to finish each end if you need to.

Unfortunately, this isn't enough for my requirements as I have made a number of extra cuts (around a belfast sink, taking the corner off one end to match an open end-corner unit and a length near a door opening to allow the door to fold back flush along the edge of the worktop).

Anyway, I didn't anticipate any problems as I assumed B&Q would also stock the edging strip. Not so, they stock individual lengths cut and shaped to match the end profile of the worktop at £3 for a single

630mm length.

Does anybody know where I might be able to buy this in decent lengths, otherwise I will have to buy at least two of B&Qs "End Caps" and since these are not long enough for the cutout near the door, I will have to join two pieces along the edge.

Reply to
Kevin

If you have a reasonable length of worktop left over, with care & a bit of luck you will be able to remove some of the laminate.

Cut the off cut into 5CM strips, long enough to do the job.

Use a domestic electric iron set around medium [trial & error needed here]

Warm up the laminate & slip a filling knife under the laminate, when you get it right you will be able to remove the laminate in a strip

As it is hot it will try to curl up, lay it flat & keep it flat until it is cold with a weight.

Use a file or sharp chisel to remove bits of adhesive & chipboard from the back when cold

Then stick as usual.

Reply to
kitchenman

Thanks for the advice Dave, I do have a decent length of worktop left but this option hadn't even occurred to me.

Reply to
Kevin

On 8 Jun 2004 08:24:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk (Kevin) strung together this:

Have you tried a kitchen shop? I'm sure you've got one somewhere, or even a trade place, like Howdens or something. Have a look see in the Yellow Pages.

Reply to
Lurch

Glad to have been able to help.

As a kitchen fitter I often had to get over a problem caused by planners forgetting stuff like that

Fitting worktops is a lot easier

Reply to
kitchenman

Dave, Tried your suggestion last night for a short length around the belfast sink. It was easier than I expected. Good advice, Thanks !!!

Reply to
Kevin