Worktop depth

I have been installing a kitchen worktop. Its temporary so I wasnt too fussed about the depth and just bought a length of cheap laminate but WHY is the standard depth of laminate just 600mm? A dishwasher is fitted under the worktop and is 600mm deep. Add on the space taken up by waste pipes, water feeds etc and the dishwasher sticks out in front of the worktop.

Now if the standard depth of worktop were 650mm they would be accommodated just fine

Why? Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Because.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Many 'standard' worktops are 640mm deep - all depends where you get them.

Reply to
Grunff

This puzzled me as well, our old kitchen had the appliances sticking out but the MIL's moben kitchen didn't - the run with the appliances in was 700mm deep - so i've just done the same for our washer and dishwasher

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

My father got round this partially by fixing 50 x 25 battens round the wall for the worktops to butt against. The top of the battens were about 25mm higher than the worktop height and were used to tile off.

Pen

Reply to
pen

But what if you can re-plumb the waste out of the whole "bay", perhaps behind an adjacent unit that has a rear gap for pipework? Ditto for water supply and electrics.

Sod's law says that pipes will always be situated in the most inconvenient place, so consider moving the pipework.

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo