Workshop task lighting

And for a workbench unless its use is restricted to sawing up logs for the fire. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would have thought that light in the daylight spectrum would've been more suitable....no? I have changed every light in the house to daylight bulbs and found them to be far superior. I compared the old incandescents to the daylight ones and the incandescents looked very yellow.

Reply to
Bod

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 7:36:35 PM UTC, Bod wrote: d have thought that light in the daylight spectrum would've been

It`s high colour temperature which isn`t same as spectrum, higher CT number quoted in Kelvin K, bluer the light appears, personally think higher temp needs to be matched with high intensity to not look like a grey day.

Cool CT generally not very flattering on skin tones, cheap warm white LED can be like cheap fluro and have a bit of a green cast though.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Adds up to between 360 and 1440 lumens per metre ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

How much does it strobe? They still use tungsten on most machines because of the strobe effect of most alternatives.

Reply to
dennis

LEDs work basically on DC. Although it may be pulsed for some applications. But at a much higher frequency than mains. Any decent modern fluorescent light also runs at a much higher frequency than mains.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ply moving them so they uplight a white ceilng can make quite a difference.

: old fashioned droplight, small fl (eg 13w), or 3w LED in a bulbholder on a wire is better. 1kW halogen is way OTT as a tasklight - it might even sui t Brian. For a fixed task only needing dim light, a string of xmas lights c an be very effective, and only £1.

Incidentally 'Fine Woodworking' have a lot of articles on Shop Lighting on their site but you have to be a member to access them

Reply to
fred

They may be DC but if its derived from chopping mains it may still strobe. I doubt if they smooth the output much.

Reply to
dennis

An LED switches on and off pretty well instantly - unlike say tungsten. If you do run them from an unsmoothed DC supply derived from mains via a transformer and rectifier, the flicker is extremely annoying.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)