Workshop hoover bags and duct tape.

Have an old Hitachi vacuum cleaner that I would like to now use around the workshop. But after having had a bagless one for a while, I'm now reluctant to fork out £1.50 or so everytime for replacement paper bags.

I'm wondering if it's feasible to rig up some cheap substitutes for the Hitachi paper bags, using good old duct tape and some imagination?

It wouldn't matter how rough and ready they are. Would a material from old cotton sheets be suitable? Has anyone any experience of such a caper?

Reply to
john hamilton

What about going the whole hog and making something like this:

suck up the bulky stuff, then jerry-rig the hoover with a large car or lorry air filter for fine filtration?

I use a Dyson DC04 for the occasional hoovering in the shed, but if I wanted something permanent, I'd construct something like that, not just because I'm cheap, err, I mean for the DIY satisfaction, but also because washing the Dyson filters each time it's been in the shed is a bit of a pain.

Reply to
David Paste

Do bear in mind that on many dry only vacs, its the airflow that cools the motor. Restrict the airflow enough with the wrong material & the motor will burn out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Usually, the original bags are glued at the bottom. I peeled a bag open, trimmed off the end and re-folded. I then used a long plastic paper clamp to keep it sealed when in use.

You could also use a couple of bulldog clips or similar.

Now you can just empty the bag when the need arises and don't have to worry about restricted air flow / cooling etc.

Regards,

Reply to
Him & Her

Make a pre-filter cyclone for it to catch the bulk of the dust - that way the bags last ages just mopping up the very fine stuff.

John Rumm

Until the bags clog up.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well, yes. But ensuring you give it a damn good shake on each empty should see you getting 10 to 15 uses out of each bag which will considerably reduce running costs.

Regards,

Reply to
Him & Her

upright hoovers used to have a cloth bag with a large bulldog clip as original equipment. if you use an interceptor bin the bag will take quite a while to fill in any case. an old oil drum is ideal, you just need a couple of holes and one extra bit of hose, it can even double as a wet pick up, I have used one to clear out drains and then just taken the drum of disgustingness to the tip.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Great links. I've occasionally thought about trying that myself. (I'm better at thinking than doing).

Reply to
newshound

Thanks to all. Mr Cheerful I'm probably being very thick here, but are you talking about extra hose and a couple of holes being connected to an upright hover? If not, the hoover I've got is not an upright and we cannot quite understand what you are suggesting. Grateful for a bit of clarification. Thanks.

Reply to
john hamilton

I was assuming that you have a standard pull along hoover with a hose, in which case if you poke the hose from that into a suitable hole in an oil drum and have another hose that you actually use to suck the stuff up, the majority then drops into the bottom of the oil drum. If you have an upright without a hose then your options are more limited!

Reply to
Mrcheerful