Workmen tipped cement? slops through fence

Big puddle of white stuff on patio, next to fence. Workmen next door appeared to have emptied their slops through fence on to our patio. Tried white spirit, soap water, white stain goes away but when the area has dried, it "reappears". Not 100% sure what it is, thought at first was paint, but could be something worse, like a type of cement. Any idea how to shift it please? (Did think of pressure washer, but we'd have to hire one.) Neighbours aren't around to discuss prob, as building seems to be empty - prolly to be put up for let sometime soon?

TIA, Rob.

Reply to
rpgs rock dvds

If it's cement, you want brick acid (hydrochloric acid) to dissolve it. Actually, you could try any medium strength acid on a small bit just to confirm if that's going to work -- I have used kettle descaler. Wet it with the acid, and leave it to work on the cement for a bit, and then see if it will brush off. Wear appropriate protection. Could be plaster (better fits your description), and that will also come off with brick acid (even more easily than cement).

Brick acid dissolves (or marks) other things too, such as pointing, and maybe even some stone, so be careful.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Depends what it is. If it's cement-based rather than a paint resin, then "brick acid" (hydrochloric) will shift it, but will also attack the slabs so you need to be able to rinse it speedily.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks a lot for replies. Yes, it could be plaster! I'll pop down to B&Q, and see if they've got some brick acid. Thanks chaps.

Reply to
rpgs rock dvds

If you go down the DIY route you may have difficulty later in proving whatv the cause was if more work is needed to repair the damage and you need to seek compensation. Politely ask the contractors to repair the damage thay have caused. If they use brick acid and damage the slabs then it will be their responsibility to replace the slabs. If you use brick acid and damage the slabs thene there will be a (heated) debate on responsibility. Whatever happens take plenty of photographs, preferrably digital as they have dates and times attached.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

You will probably find patio cleaner there - same idea, but less concentrated.

Reply to
John Rumm

But the date and time on the camera can be set to anything the photographer wants them to be and so can't be relied upon...

Quite true. Although I think that there are now a few that either on their own or with an add on also record location using GPS, these may record UTC from the GPS satellites?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The point of my original reply was that the OP should think twice before doing anything which would predjdice a subsequent claim, while gathering as much evidence as possible Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

And that I quite agree with. Also, why should the OP have to do anything anyway? If the problem's been caused by someone else, then it's up to them to put it right.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

In message , rpgs rock dvds writes

Isn't it your neighbour's problem to rectify ?

Reply to
geoff

Still makes no difference as the date/time is recorded in the exif header information for jpegs, easily editable with exif utilities. Likewise file timestamps prove nothing.

Reply to
AA

stick a newspaper in the photo..that at least shows it wasn't taken BEFORE the date in question..

Although photoshop is a magic thing..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Upload the photo to Google apps or send it to a Google mail address and leave it there.

Google will record a date/time stamp on any uploads and edits. Somewhere internally a massive audit trail is being recorded.

Something similar could be done with other hosting sites.

Reply to
Devany

Update - spotted workman next door, told him about problem, he came round with bucket of light blue liquid (not sure what this solution was) and he brushed liquid over patio slabs with an "outside brush". After area dried out, most of discolouration has gone - prolly all go if I give it another clean myself.

Reply to
rpgs rock dvds

Alternatively the workman can come back on Monday with another bucketful of light blue liquid and finish the job properly.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

... which of course means if the slabs dissolve in the next rain shower it's still their problem...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ