Working safely on a hipped roof

Hi

Is there a standard way of working safely on the ridge where a roof hip joins the main section using 'normal' equipment?

I can think of two possibilities:

1) Put a standard roof ladder over each side of the main roof (ie, two ladders), and bring a rope between them across the hip.

2) Put a tower against the flank wall (where the hip runs to), secure it to the building with eye bolts, then lay a ladder over the roof that is secured to the tower at its base.

Anyone have any thoughts?

IanC

Reply to
clowes_ian

In article , clowes snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Definitely not safe, unless I'm missing something there is nothing to stop the whole lot being pulled off the hip side. I have worked happily on a roof using rope but it really depends on what you're doing, short duration maintenance or longer periods of working and with what.

Definitely the safer option, in fact if the height is not too great and a tower can be hired cheaply then I'd stop the search there.

Reply to
fred

Theres only one safe way and thats with a scaffolding along the eave. It can be done with a tower, providing you take out the tiles were you intend to get to and tie the tower with a rope around two or three tile lath's or round the rafters if theres no felt. Tie the roof crawler with a rope round the rungs in the same manner, make sure that the rope is fixed above the lath or rafter above the rung. This is not a 100% safty idea it will only stop the crawler from slipping down not from side to side. the scaffolding or tower is only there for a platform to stand on and stack tools and materials on.

Reply to
keith_765

Most roofers I've seen sit on old sofa cushions for quick repairs. You could harness yourself to a chimney stack maybe? Not my idea of fun though. I went and hired a roof ladder a few years back. Got to about rung number 4 before bottling it. I think the small distance between the rung and the tiles meant I never felt my feet were firmly on the thing. Heights I can do off ladders, but angles are different.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Absolutely the safest way altogether.

Hardly DIY though.

*******

"If I listened to the opinions of generals or military officers in the field, we'd never have had the success we've had in running this war. So, I'm not about to start listening now." Donald H. Rumsfeld.

(According to the Wikipedia he served in the U.S. Navy as an aviator and flight instructor. With a Distinguished Eagle Scout Award, he served as a puppet under Nixon where he learned all he knows about politics.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

And to think that in my twenties (many years ago) I used to scramble up the roof without a roof ladder to sort out our ariel... LOL

The bit that did worry me was getting back onto the ladder that got me onto the roof..

Don't worry, I wouldn't do it now.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Why didn't you keep it in the kitchen, closer to the washing machine?

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)