Workbench recommendations

Folks,

I have decided to add another bench to the middle of my workshop. Standard height (29"?), 8', 2'6" wide. I built all the other benches myself, but it would be quite nice to have something a bit more dismantleable for this one, in case a major car project requires the whole workshop at some point.

So I was thinking of going for some metal-legged, mallet-assembled jobs like a couple of WB2s or a WB6 from

the equivalent from other places.

Except that I can help noticing a lack of diagonal bracing, and can't help wondering if wobbliness results. Can anyone testify to the sturdiness - or otherwise - of these designs?

Many thanks,

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

How tough does it need to be? For example, are you going to mount machinery on it or do heavy hammering etc.? If not, would a sturdy folding table suffice? I use a 'banquet table' of the type which Makro do for £30 from time to time. It's about 6' x 2'6", and just the job for when I need extra surface area for laying out tools and/or components. It has a sturdy frame, locking legs - but folds up flat for storage against the wall when not needed.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'd like to be able to stick and engine or two on it from time to time. I'm definitely looking for something sturdier than a folding table.

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

That looks awfully like exactly the same uprights, supports and shelving as the racking available here:

recently bought some Rapid 2 which is medium duty - the link above is the heavy duty stuff so should be stronger and sturdier than what I have. The stuff I have seems pretty sturdy and strong, and hasn't flexed yet, but then I haven't full loaded it either. The benches you link to have two shelves, which I suspect will fit pretty snuggly and should also add to the strength.

You could of course add some extra diagnoal cross-bracing if you so desired.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Thanks for that. I suspect the answer to my question lies in the attachment method between top and legs. Some extra cross bracing sounds like a good idea - as this bench is planned to run down the middle of the workshop the bracing will have to be at the ends, but every little helps!

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor