Workbench Adaptor - for Circ saw

Hi all. I have a Draper Magnum 950 workbench that I am hoping can be used as a table saw. Has anyone seen anything that might do the job here?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Hardly worth it when table saws are so cheap I would have thought. A saw blade whizzing around without the adjustments and control you get on a proper table saw would be dangerous, and not particularly useful either IMO.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The things are too big and non portable. I did buy a Ryobi a few months ago but it had a fault and had it replaced. Then sold the replacement.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

The Draper Magnum Compact can be used to cross cut with a circ saw by using the channels inside the clamp. IMO using a circular saw as a table saw is asking for trouble.

Table saws are cheap enough - and you can't replace fingers.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Its easy enough to make a inset table that will take an inverted circular saw. You can clamp that in a workmate as long as its jaws open far enough.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why am I not surprised about TTI Ryobi products?

However, putting a portable circular saw into a Workmate type of product is going to lead to disappointment.

- Guard arrangements are poor and safety risk very high

- Mounting arrangements are poor

- Fence arrangements are poor and with the mounting issues mean that the accuracy and repeatability is going to be very hit and miss.

Even the plastic box saws like the Ryobi are poor because of the fences. You have to go to something like the DeWalt 740 series to improve on that, but it's at a different price point. Large sheet handling remains a problem however.

Otherwise there are contractor type saws with metal tables from suppliers such as Charnwood but these are not quite as portable.

It's necessary to look at the applications that you intend.

If you mainly want to do cutting of prepared timber then the appropriate solution is a compound mitre saw or sliding version thereof.

If you want to do panel work then you ned to have something that supports them adequately for cutting. That can be done using a table saw of adequate table area or less optimally one with large infeed and outfeed arrangements. You can make home made panel saws using a portable circular saw and a frame on a wall. Othewise, its a case of asking the supplier to cut to size.

"Portable" saws cobbled together with a Workmate and portable circular saw don't address any of these in a safe or satisfactory way,

Reply to
Andy Hall

I would agree, I think the £30 I spent on a reconditioned PP table saw on a stand was far better than buying a portable saw and stand. It may not be the easiest to setup but its almost certainly easier than a portable saw on a stand.

Reply to
dennis