Work clothing, wax cotton jacket, in store?

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a walk-in place to buy a cheap wax cotton jacket for our daughter and could do with some help please.

I can find plenty of places that stock Barbour or Musto but both are way too expensive (even second user on eBay!).

Any places come to mind (Nth London / Essex / Herts etc) that you

*know* (please) stock a load of the cheaper style wax cotton (sub 50 quid, ideally £15) in the smaller / women's sizes. Generally a mans 'small' is too big.

She's about a 12-14 / 36" but we (she ) really does need to be able to try stuff on, 'girls' ;-)

We have tried / phoned / been to several gun shops, agricultural suppliers, outdoor / Army surplus places etc and whist we have got close, no luck so far.

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. It's for use when she's doing her tree surgery > groundwork / planting in the winter and *anything* is likely to get lacerated on the truck / chipper / thorns / tools etc, hence cheap / disposable (but not a Kagool apparently) ;-)

p.p.s. I'm pretty sure we have seen and bought such things in the past as Game Fairs (no good to us right now of course). :-(

Reply to
T i m

========================================= I believe that I saw some in my local Lidl a few days ago, so worth a look if you've got one near you.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

We have (ish) and we will, thanks! ;-)

Hmm, it looks like one local store doesn't have any left in the smaller sizes and the nice Lidl C/S lady said she will check out a couple of other local(ish) branches and get back to me. ;-)

Thanks, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Waxed cotton goes stiff when it's wet, its often too heavy for working in. My jacket of choice in the rain is a nifty dark blue and orange one with hi vis stripes with the royal mail logo over the breast pocket removed ;-).

AJH

PS sorry about e-mail reply, I hit the wrong button

Reply to
andrew

Imported from Amsterdam?

Andy Burns

What's wrong with a good old boiler suit . Not necessarily orange lest folk think you have escaped from Guantamo Bay .:-)

Reply to
fictitiousemail

In message , T i m writes

I really like the Dickies jackets that I bought 2 of last year when Wickes had them on offer. They are not waxed cotton, but look similar and I'm really impressed with the design, particularly of the various pockets (eg combined sideways for warming hands as well as vertical sealable for carrying junk). I think the offer price was very good, and think I've been horrified by the full price, but £30 would horrify me.

Reply to
Bill

£30 would horrify you? ..Just as well you are not wanting a fishing jacket then :-)
Reply to
fictitiousemail

At a tenner it could be considered disposable, was probably designed well (they probably had them made to PO spec?) and good visibility if stood under a tree etc, oh and Andrew recommends them. Perfect! ;-)

Right, what's the carriage cost from Holland .....

T i m

Reply to
T i m

practical work jacket with a net ventilation layer, other work jackets are too hot and boiler suits both hot and restricting, plus of course the trousers are already several layers of nylon flock thick.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

;-)

So are they supposed to be waterproof please Bill?

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Being someone who always seems cold she actually enjoys wearing her PPE trousers. ;-)

I'm not sure she will think the same way in the summer though!

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Think I saw some in Matalan. Makro also had some.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ah, right, Mum's got a Makro card ... ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think they were listed as at least showerproof, but can't remember. A practical example is that we recently had some days of dreadful weather

- wind and rain - where we had to stand about making a decision about whether to cancel a crane for some boat lifts. (We did). People in full sailing gear were fine, this Dickies coat was fine, but I had to dry out my standard trousers and shoes..

I think their range in Wickes is well worth a look, although I have no idea of the current price. I really must look out for some leggings!

Reply to
Bill

Do you /have/ to have a card to buy things there? Or does it just give you some sort of discount?

Geo

Reply to
Geo

You can't get in without having your card swiped. CostCo just visually check your card as you enter. I believe a card holder can bring "guests" in.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Notionally it's a trade warehouse - the apparent discount, in a lot of cases, is the fact that the VAT isn't shown in their published prices though they do have bargains from time to time.

You can get a trade card by showing that you are a trader - ISTR that they want a letterhead and a couple of invoices as proof of trading.

Reply to
PeterMcC

Didn't with me. Goat a phone call one day asking if I wanted a card. I said yes & it arrived a few days later. Odd, but handy.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hmmm, we popped in Wickes today and they only seem to stock L and XL in most things. You were lucky to get a M in some?

She's about an XS in mans sizes. :-(

It was worth a look though so thanks.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to