Worcester R30HE Boiler - is a warranty worth it?

Hi all

I've had a Greenstar R30HE installed about 3 years ago. Just had a reminder from Worcester - trying to sell me a warranty... which is £199 for 2 years, parts and labour.

Question is, is it worth it....? Any experts out there got an opinion? Is it 'likely' to break down..?

Cheers

Si

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

That's about what they charge for a single visit, also including parts. Given that the pump on my 24i is well over £100, and one imagines other parts would be similarly inflated, having WB do the work seemed like the best deal. Also, you know it'll be done that day, which may be important if you have to take time off work etc. Our boiler gets light use so I take my chances with a breakdown but, if I had a couple of kids, I might well go for the WB warranty. What doesn't seem to stack up for me is the Homeserve type insurance

Reply to
stuart noble

Ok, thanks Stuart... will probably go with it....

Si

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

On AVERAGE you'd be better off not taking it out. If you consider yourself a very unlucky person then may be.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I'm not an expert, but i've got a WB 28SiII - it's been decidedly=20 unreliable, having had from memory, 4 circuit boards, fans / motors,=20 and so on.

It's only about 3 years old ! (and was faulty from new)

I was offered a cheaper warranty when I asked what the expected=20 lifespan / failure rate of components was (i'm guessing they really=20 don't want to answer that !)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Do you really expect a pump to fail within 5 years? My first one did 20 - the second one still going fine when I replaced the boiler.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm on my third pump in 5 years. The first leaked through the auto air vent. The second was badly fitted by WB who trashed the plastic thread and the washer. Nothing wrong with the pumps themselves but the WB plastic housing design leaves a lot to be desired

Reply to
stuart noble

You might want to look at the other options like the British Gas policies

and there are other insurers who do similar things.

Reply to
clangers_snout

I have looked at them, but I prefer the devil I know :-)

Reply to
stuart noble