Worcester-Bosch Hghflow 440

In perfomance, there are no limitations in a one bathroom home. The limitations are in the size and installation suitability.

They will do a 1.5 bathroom. If you have a home that will definately have two people showering or filing a bath at the same time then it is limited, but it is not aimed at that market.

But, as I have previously said, I have relatives that have a two bathrooms and have never filled both baths at the same time or have two showers been on at the same time. The cylinder is large enough to cope with two baths and two showers simultaneously, but never been brought into use. It would be better for them to have a down sized cylinder with a quick recovery coil.

Reply to
IMM

Yep. Expect many existing regular boilers to become condensers. The old models may be sold off cheapo. The government hasn't yet said what the criteria is for non-condensers.

Reply to
IMM

There are. My system is capable of 40lpm at 60C, whilst the proposed boiler does 20lpm at 40C. I would say that this is a limitation. Perhaps one that some would find acceptable (not me), but a limitation nonetheless.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Unless you have drencher showers it is limited, but that is about the only limitation. I came across one large flat in Mayfair once that had a full commercial setup. The bath could fit 5 people and all three showers were drenchers. All domestic setups were limited in that domestic residence. In normal acceptance of bath & shower performance in a one bathroom house it has no limitations.

Reply to
IMM

From the WB website:

"Application of Greenstar Highflow 440 The Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440 delivers domestic hot water at a flow rate of 20 litres/min (4.4 gpm), making the appliance ideally suited for use in medium to large sized family homes, incorporating up to two bathrooms. "

- To me that means they claim it is suitable for two bathrooms and therefore simultaneous use of both. However if it drops to 11l/min after a short time then it is clearly not.

It is the total time in filling two averaged sized baths that matters. It may spurt out 20 litres/min until half full then drop to 11 litres/min for the rest for the fill still that is not a slow bath fill in total. In all with 2/3 to 3/4 of the bath being cold water a 100 litre bath will fill to half full in about 2 minutes the 4 minutes for the remain half giving approx a 6 minute bath fill filling two baths. Not bad at all.

As I previously said, If you know your family usage you don't need over powerful equipment and large storage

They also recover in a few minutes, so if someone wants a fast full bath, you hang on for 10 minutes and then you can fill the bath pronto too.

Reply to
IMM

Complete rubbish.

Assuming small 100 litre baths and that the store is designed to fill that bath at 40C, then the total period required is the 5 minutes to fill the first bath, plus the 11 lpm to fill the other bath, which is 9 minutes, giving a total of 14 minutes. Your calculation breaks the law of conservation of energy. The energy supplied to the baths must either be stored or converted by the boiler during the period in question.

Your incorrect assumptions are (1) Each bath would get 20lpm until half full.

-> incorrect. Each bath would get 10lpm until half full. (2) Each bath would subsequently get 11lpm until full

-> incorrect. Each bath would get 5.5lpm until full.

Assuming that the bath is again a miserly 100l, this gives: Until half full 5 minutes Until full, a further 9 minutes.

Oh look, you get exactly the same time as my previous calculation using a different method. It basically doesn't matter how you do the calculation, or how you fill the baths, simultaneously or in sequence. It will still take 14 minutes to fill both simultaneously, unless you allow the store to fully recover and don't count the time that recovery takes.

As the store is capable of providing an additional 9lpm for 5 minutes, the boiler at full power will recover in just over 4 minutes. You could fill the first bath in 5 minutes, wait 4 minutes for full recovery and then fill the second bath in 5 minutes. Shock horror! That also takes 14 minutes!

What is not is dispute is that a boiler designed this way could be an extremely useful product that would satisfy the needs of a large number of domestic users, far more than an instantaneous combi of the same burner power. However, fill 2 baths in 6 minutes? IT WILL NOT!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I know I just looked at again. That is what you get when rushing.

Reply to
IMM