Worcester Bosch 24i Junior filling loop

Just for the archives, the built in filling loop for this boiler operates as follows: Shove the plastic key up into the hole to the right of the white plastic nut, turn clockwise (it locks at about half a turn). Then turn the white plastic nut anti clockwise to fill the boiler. Simple enough, but no mention of stage 2 in the documentation. Thanks to Ed's FAQ I got the gist of what any self respecting manufacturer would have made clear in the user guide.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

And of course don't lose the stupid &^*£ing key.

I will remember where it's "safe" sometime. :((

Reply to
EricP

Only _if_ the boiler has been bought with this option: the default is without it.

You could always clip it into the plastic tray underneath the boiler (on some models at least) as suggested by the manufacturers!

Reply to
John Stumbles

I leave mine plugged in

Reply to
mike

Which about sums up Worcester Bosch. Something that gets the punter out of trouble in an emergency isn't very high on their list of priorities I imagine.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thank you sir. If I ever locate it, I will find the clip in the tray. That would have saved some trouble. :)

Reply to
EricP

But the WB manual says you mustn't. We don't want deviants on here mate.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Apparently snapping them off is a common pastime for tenants.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Tut tut.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Eh? Either way the system will have a filling arrangement: it's just a case of whether it's a regular braided-hose and valves or their filling key. I don't see how that's a reflection on W-B's attitude to the punter, but maybe you can enlighten us?

Reply to
John Stumbles

Neither is mentioned in the instructions for a start.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Maybe they reckon it's a job for the installer, or knowledgable DIYer (i.e. if you have to ask you probably ought to be leaving it to the experts). If it needs topping up less frequently than once a year then getting the boiler serviced should sort it. If it needs doing more often then it probably needs attention. I guess they don't want to encourage people to simply top up the system without further care.

Reply to
John Stumbles

If WB had their way you'd be spending £130 a year on a service and another £200 on insurance.

After 4 years I've just spent £217 or so on their standard breakdown call out. The problem turned out to be a leaking auto air vent on the pump, which costs about a fiver I think. But for the standard price I get a new pump and 3 other components that "might go at any time" installed which, in the long term, seems like a good deal as the pump alone is £150+.

I still have to get my head round this crazy concept that, if the smallest of components fails (or more likely needs cleaning) you replace half the boiler just in case. Doesn't seem to make sense for them or me, or the environment

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yes and keep the key! There is a standard pack now which I think is

8716121107, you'll need it when dealing with plumbers who drain the system!

Trevor

- Bathroom Advice

Reply to
Logician