Worcester Bosch 24i Junior - boiler flue fitting query

I'm having one of these fitted soon - will be a CORGI doing the actual work but I'm preparing everything in advance.

I'm a bit worried about the flue at the moment. Boiler will be sited on a party wall at the corner; plan was to take the (very short, straight) flue out sideways, through the back wall. However, if it were to go out at 90 degrees, then the flue would have to pass through the lintel of a window, which barring structural issues, would position it too close to the window from a gas regs point of view. What I want to know is, can the flue exit the boiler at an angle other than 90 deg (in the horizontal plane, that is)? The picture shows the flue having a turret which sits on a spigot on the boiler top, and it looks like it should be possible to rotate it infinitely providing it doesn't 'lock' in the quarter-turn positions. If so, I can organise for my flue to exit the wall just far enough away from the window; if not, then it's back to the drawing board!

I phoned W-B technical helpline about this, was told 'no, not possible' but the person didn't sound too clued-up so I phoned back, and a second person said 'yes it was'. So I'm now just looking for confirmation from somebody who has one of these boilers and knows for sure!

(literature here: )

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Will this one take an adaptor to convert to twin 50mm mUPVC waste pipes?

That might be another option for awkward flue location if it's possible.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, it can go out at any angle as you describe. (I've just fitted one of the model you describe, though the flue is common to most if not all of the current Greenstar range.)

The telescopic flue (which my merchants - Graham in Reading - say they think supercedes the more aesthetic and slightly cheaper non-telescopic version) can also take a 'plume management' system which is basically a set of pieces to extend the inner, flue, tube away from the main terminal. This might help you get the flue termination to an acceptable location.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Brilliant, thanks a lot for that John - it's a relief! David

Reply to
Lobster

Pretty sure the flue itself doesn't. I haven't seen a twin tube flue kit for the boiler - but I haven't looked, either.

Reply to
John Stumbles

As it uses the same basic flue design as quite a lot of other WB boilers I'd tentatively say it's not a major problem as the outlet elbow can freely rotate on the lipped seal internally and is clamped with a removable ring to the top of the boiler casing (using 3 screws) An identical elbow is used for both straight through the wall and side exit installations.

The problem with your proposed arrangement comes when you go through the wall, this really needs to be a 90 degree hole as for a start it would look slapdash and also the sealing arrangement (mainly it most be said from weather) on the outer skin could be compromised.

Can't you go out at your funny angle then have a short vertical run so you can then use a conventional 90 degree angle to go through the wall?

Reply to
Matt