Woodworm

Hi everyone

I have just sanded the floorboards in the bathroom and have uncovered some woodworm trails. Is there any way of knowing if the woodworm is still active?? The trails follow along the line of a joist and are quite unsightly.

Thanks in advance for any advice folks

Reply to
Magpie

The holes in the wood will tend to be light in colour if it's this year's activity

If in doubt makes sense to treat anyway

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
Tulpa

Reply to
Tulpa

I guess you learnt about sanding the hard way. Woodworm holing in boards is common, and nearly always indicates a long gone mild infestation.

Usually one would look at the colour of the holes, light meaning recent and dark meaning old, but in your case they were hidden from light until now, so the colour will tell you nothing. Also one usually looks for wood dust by the holes, but since you've just sanded, again this wont give you any information.

In short its normal in old properties, turn the wood over and sleep happily.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Thanks everyone for the advice

I always suspected that the beasties were long gone. I was more concerned about when we sell the house - will a surveyor be worried about this?? The trails are quite extensive, and like I said before, lie mainly along a joist line.

I reckon that I can live with them - gives the place character :-) Not sure that my wife agrees though!

Reply to
Magpie

Unfortunately surveyors and buyers can be an issue with woodworm holes, though not a big one, due to a mixture of the need to cya, lack of knowledge, and companies that want to make a profit. A familiar scenario...the surveyor notes woodworm holes, and instead of saying well this is quite normal in old properties thinks if I can see 100 holes here there might be another 10,000 I failed to uncover, and I must c-y-ass at all costs, so advises buyer to get a wood survey. Chemical Treatment company salesperson offers free survey, and of course wants to sell as much chemical as poss so recommends mass treatment of whole house and all buildings in a 3 mile radius, despite the fact there wasnt any problem in the first place, then buyer pulls out. Next potential buyer then runs down the road screaming once report disclosed.

Why not a big issue? Because buyers can be informed that minor holing is normal in old properties, and can be directed to forums online that confirm this. And you can stay well away from those treatment co surveys in the first place.

Other than that a few 100 holes are a non issue really :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

And why isn't woodworm the problem it used to be? Because, thanks to modern materials, our houses are warmer and dryer

Reply to
Stuart Noble