Woodstain

Task Restore an oak dressing table circa 1950, replacing a missing decorative panel from the mirror support

Issue No problem with making a new part, plenty of suitable oak. The issue is matching the colour. The oak stains I have are light or dark oak, neither of which match the honey/pale toffee colour of the piece. Original finish is cellulose, I can polish the new part to match as far as sheen etc its just the colour that is causing a headache. Has anyone any suggestions as to a suitable solution Cheers

John

Reply to
john

when I used to mess about years ago, the pine stains were more honey coloured than oak ones. Also an undercoat of very dilute shellac varnish (french polish diluted with meths) will fill up the pores and stop so much stain soaking in, giving a mellower colour.

rusty

Reply to
John