Woodlice

Zoinks"

I always thought they were related to prawns (certainly taste prawnish, don't eat them all the time I was on a survival course, I accepted a bet, I ... ) they are *not* insects.

Reply to
soup

That *not* insects bit wasn't aimed at Zonks it was just a general observation.

Reply to
soup

Just realised I've been top-posting constantly......many apologies...I haven't used a newsgroup for yonks!

Jo

Reply to
Jo

Don't ask about the fried rice with fried lice.

Reply to
mogga

I've not shouted at anyone for top posting for ages. :)

My cat brings in woodlice to play with. The other cat brings in mice and birds.

Convincing your daughter that insects are interesting is worthwhile if it means she'll never be frightened of putting spiders out.

Reply to
mogga

Der rice vos mit der mice shit mixed ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Wonderful, aren't they! Far more interesting than great lumbering slaters.

Which, of course, have their own parasites.

Great fleas have little fleas Upon their backs to bite 'em And little fleas have lesser fleas And so ad infinitum

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ahem.

Spiders aren't insects.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Wasn't there a picture (electron microscope (?)) of a flea with some sort of mites on its back, with that poem below?

Reply to
soup

I've just read this whole thread with a lot of interest as we have a big woodlice problem too - which seems to be getting worst. In fact it's more of an infestation.

Every morning I come down and pick up hand fulls of the things.

They seem to appear mostly around the sliding patio door, but they can crop up any where on the downstairs. I've sprayed insect poison around the patio door, which works but I still have to pick up all of the dead buggers.

I'm sure we don't have a damp problem anywhere.

Reply to
RedOnRed

We don't have them. We used to under every stone and log.

Then we got a couple of bantams - they'd kill for woodlice.

In fact they'd DIE for them!

Recycled woodlice are delicious :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Or, the shortest poem in the English language (that I've found so far). Entitled "On fleas" it runs...

Adam 'ad 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

At least you don't start a new thread every time you post a reply :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

They're crustaceans, not insects, so insect remedies tend not to work too well.

Check around local hardware shops and garden centres - I'm sure I've seen dedicated woodlice killer - be mindful of any safety instructions where there are children and/or pets around. In the long term, best to find out what's causing them - usually damp conditions of some sort. If the source is outside the house it might just be a matter of finding and blocking their route. Any stacked wood or garden waste should be kept well away from the house.

They're relatively harmless, but admittedly not very nice to have around.

John

Reply to
John