Wooden Ramps

I need to make some ramps to get my mobility scooter into the shed.

The last pair I made was made from 2 piece3s of 4 x 2 timber about 4 feet long cut on a diagonal. Screwed to the diagonal was a piece of weather proof weyroc and a couple of bracing pieces of wood underneath.

These have last me since 1997 and have been out in all weathers, but alas, nothing lasts forever.

Now, I need the ramps to be made from 6 x 3 stioll about 4 foot long, but wider than the old ones.

I was thinking of using T & G Floorboard. Is this a good idea ? I can't afford to purchase weatherproof weyroc in big sheets.

Your thoughts Ladies and Gentlemen please !

Kindest regards,

James

Reply to
the_constructor

I'd consider using thick decking boards. This is what I used for a ramp to get a motorcycle into a van.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

But remember that wooden boards can become very slippery especially if allowed to collect moss, algae etc.

You might be better covering it (after treatment) with a non-slip rubber mat, or give it a coat of paint then sprinkle sand or fine gravel on to the paint before it dries.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Arrrrgh!!! Proper deck boards are not slippery!!!!

I've spent the last 3 days building a deck at the bottom of someones garden, in mud reminisant of the Somme. The safest, least slippery place in that garden was the deck boards.

Buy proper deck boards with a raised profile and lay them across the ramp & you have the perfect non slip ramp. I've built several.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Depending on the rise you need, simple ramps can be made by ripping a timber post in two, diagonally. Cover the two bits with a weather proof board and you're done. A six inch rise can use a six inch post, doesn't have to be to long a length. Mark and cut the diagonal and rip it through. Your timber shop might be able to do it for you. Screw on some flooring grade chipboard between them, and the ramp is made. A couple of coats of a good exterior paint, doesn't have to be anything fancy (masonry, timber coating Etc.) and it should last you for a good long time, like your last one did.

Reply to
BigWallop

Last time I needed to do something like this, I got two bits of scrap timber and put one either side. Then poured some concrete into the gap and trowelled it a bit to get a decent slope and surface. Some thirty or so years later, it is still in perfect condition. But the shed is a bit past it. :-)

Reply to
Rod

the_constructor expressed precisely :

Would aluminium chequer plate not be both lighter and completely weather proof? Just get a local metal work engineer to cut them and fold them for you.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I had thought of doing this, but, there's always a but isn't there, the doors on my shed, shed which was specially made for me, comes below the floor level and if I sawed the bottom off to accomodate the ramp, whoudl see rain and all other crap coming into the shed. Hope that makes sense James

Reply to
the_constructor

Just a flyer in case it made sense! Thanks for explaining.

Reply to
Rod

How about one of those plastic covers used to cover holes in the road? They're plenty strong enough and often get left behind after the job's done.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === ==== Jack Campin, 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland == mob 07800 739 557 CD-ROMs and free stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic fonts

Reply to
Jack Campin - bogus address