Wooden flooring

The T&G flooring in my bedroom is pretty rubbish. Over the years, it has dried out a lot, to the point where it's a contour map of knots that can be felt through the carpet. In thinking about doing the room up this summer, the options seem to be to either get a big floor sander thingy on hire and level it or replace the lot. SWMBO think it would be nice to have a hardwood floor, so it looks like replacement might be on the cards. Looking for boards, however, almost everything hardwood I can find seems to be a bit thin for actual floorboards and seems more to be designed to go over an existing floor, whereupon it would be pretty thick.

Am I missing the point somewhere here? I know that hardwood is probably pretty expensive but, if I'm going to rip the existing stuff up, I'd rather like to re-lay one floor, not two, and to wind up with roughly the same level I started with. It may be that the most sensible option is to settle for pine or (more simply) chipboard and carpet, but I wondered if anyone here can tell me a better way (no, not a 1 inch layer of car body filler laid using an angle grinder!).

Cheers

Reply to
GMM

We're mostly on hardwood (Maple, I believe) at home - the (1-1/2" wide) T+G hardwood strips are about 3/4" in height, laid over some sort of cardboard-like material (maybe 1/16" thick), laid over the top of typical rough floorboards (3/4" thick again).

The floorboards run at 45 degrees to the hardwood strips above (i.e. diagonally across the rooms, with the hardwood strips parallel to the longest wall) - maybe that helps absorb any distortion.

There's no sign that they ever sanded the floorboards down or anything to make them level before putting the hardwood strips over the top; maybe the cardboard layer's there to help absorb minor distortion (although more likely there to stop critters getting in - I can't imagine it's any good as insulation, sound-deadening, or as a damp barrier)

astroturf! :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Just so youre aware, a cheap easy option is to lay either 3mm hardboard or 6mm ply on top of the existing floor.

NT

Reply to
NT

What you want is "structural" wood flooring that does not need a sub- floor and goes straight over the joists.

It will probably be noisier downstairs though with people walking about upstairs.

Chipboard and carpet is of course the sensible option :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Owain wibbled:

IIRC Kahrs 15mm engineered said it was structural, with joists at up to 2' spans.

I've also seen oak in 18mm somewhere.

Reply to
Tim S

Just put some mineral wool batts between the joists before laying the new boards. It works fairly well accoustically (short of doing the whole rubbber sheet + floating joist thing).

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn