wooden floor on floorboards

I'm slowly gettign the bedroom done but it's really slow. Anyway the=20 latest plan is to put down real wooden floring - ie: a load of planks on=20 top of those green floorboards (whatever they're called) instead of the=20 proposed plan of putting a floating good quality laminate down.

I'd like to screw the planks down as that would make it easier to life=20 them if I needed to do any work below the floor. The extra height to=20 the floor won't make any difference to the room as it's tall enough not=20 to worry about 2cm. I'm thinking of just using normal planks of wood.

One of the good things is that the price comes down by about =A3200 as we= =20 were going to use some quite expensive real wood finish laminate like=20 stuff which is why we suddenly thought "why not use real wood",

Does this sound feasible - anything I've not thought of? Would screws=20 look silly?

Thanks

--=20 John Kelly

Remove dimspam if replying by mail

Reply to
John Kelly

Most real wood flooring would be tongue and groove, and secured by secret nailing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did think of that and then thought if I ever needed to lift the floor it would be much easier to unscrew straight edged boards than tongue and groove. I've never yet lived in a house where at some point I haven't had to lift the floor up.

Reply to
John Kelly

Brass screws can look quite good allegedly, though I suppose real brass might tarnish a bit over time. Still if they were varnished over and screwed into countersunk holes of exactly the right depth ( i.e screwhead dead level with the floor - to avoid becoming a hole which picks up dirt ), and all aligned properly, I think the result could even be stylish. Your call!

Andy.

Reply to
andrewpreece

I'd say if you varnished over screws you'd never get them out without cleaning the heads with paint stripper and even then you could damage the heads too much to get the screw out and be faced with nasty job of trying to drill it out. I'm planning on screwing down some inspection hatch floorboards, but after sanding I will remove the screws before varnishing then replace after its dried.

Presumably the OP is going to varnish the floor even if you meant use laquered screws.

Reply to
Zip 1