wooden float or steel

i was told that when using board finish first coat is best applied with a wooden float and second skim coat with a steel to apply and polish,is this correct?

Reply to
bob

Steel, never wood for skimming, in fact, in 30 years of being in the building trade, I don't think I've ever seen anyone put anything on with a wooden trowel - a wooden darby is sometimes used to flatten off render, but never finishing plaster, and certainly never to apply plaster.

Reply to
Phil L

wood gets used for lime plaster

NT

Reply to
NT

I've never seen anyone use lime plaster, I've hacked masses of it off, but it usually gets replaced with render if it's for a chemical DPC, and drylined or a gypsum-based backing plaster if it's not.

Reply to
Phil L

These days I don't think they make the wood ones much. I have a yellow fibreglass (I think) float which looks a bit like a wood one. It is used for finishing render.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Yep, I have one of those - it's not used for applying render but for rubbing it up when almost set

Reply to
Phil L