Wood Veneer contiboard

Does anybody know if contiboard is still made with a plain wood veneer? I'm looking for a genuine veneer which can be sanded and varnished rather than the plastic 'wood effect' product.

Tia,

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Do you mean actual Contiboard ? (It is a trade name)

Veneered plywood, chipboard or mdf is easily available from your local timeber merchant.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

MDF certainly is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was in my Homebase 3 months ago, labelled as "real wood veneer". It's sapele I think and takes a woodworking bleach very well if you want a paler finish (it goes dark orange when varnished otherwise). Won't stand much sanding though.

Reply to
stuart noble

A good timber merchant will also have veneered blockboard. I used it (American white oak) when fitting out my newly lengthened narrowboat. Expensive stuff, but a joy to work with and very attractive.

Reply to
Paper2002AD

================== Thanks to all who replied. I really did mean 'contiboard' because it's 5/8" (16mm approx) rather than the more usual sheet sizes of 12mm / 18 mm etc. It also has finished long edges which saves a lot of work.

I'll try Homebase to see if it's there but otherwise I'll probably have to compromise on thickness and try one of the alternative suggestions.

Many thanks,

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

You can definitly buy it in B&Q, I bought a 8 foot x 18 inch board in light oak only a couple of weeks ago. If I remember correctly there was 3 or 4 different finishes in 'real' veneer and about 6 in the plastic variety. As a previous poster said it wont take a lot of sanding abuse though.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

It's definitely around. My local Champions Timber also do a version of it though I found it inferior to Conti.

Reply to
stuart noble