Wood Varnishing

I have just completed buiding a fish tank cabinet and am at the stage of finishing..

I would like to varnish the cabinet with gloss acrylic polyurethane. I like the fact that it is water base and quick drying. My only concerns is whether it is as durable and as waterproof as the oil based version?...Anyone have any views on this?

Reply to
lawrence zarb

Try Rustins Liquid Plastic. Ordinary solvent based varnishes have limited water resistance, and the water based versions even less.

Reply to
stuart noble

I don't know this product but would always use Yacht varnish as its designed for wet conditions.

Reply to
Sue

I don't know the answer to your question, but just thought I'd point you to another newsgroup that may help : rec.woodworking (referred to on there as the wRECk or the wreck).

A great group with loads of knowledge about finishing woods.

Cheers,

Andy

Reply to
Andy Jeffries

Fine - it's every bit as good as the oil-based versions. There are even some floor varnishes that are extra-hard wearing. _Don't_ use Rustins Bartop or Plastic Coat unless you have a very long time to allow it to try - it outgasses formaldehyde on curing and your fish may suffer.

As for the water resistance, then the usual answer is to make the tank out of glass, and keep all the water inside. You really shouldn't need much water resistance.

Reply to
Andy Dingley