Wood screw / Threaded Fitting

I want to be able to fasten a bolt in to a piece of wood - the back of which is inaccesible. I am looking for a "wood screw" which will have a tapped hold down its middle -into which I can fasten a bolt. So screw in to wood: nice and flush. Put up fitting and secure with a bolt. I have looked at Screwfix and Wickes - but cannot find.

Do such things exist?

Reply to
Jack Homes

How big do you want the bolt to be?

A mirror screw fits your description but the threaded centre is unlikely to take the substantial bolt that I suspect you require.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

google "threaded insert for wood"

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

These?

Tim Watts

Plenty!

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Dont know but there used to be a kind of nut with spikes that you put in a recess in the back of your wood, and you screwed a bolt into that through the wood. it was held in by the thing the wood was fastened to, and the spikes stopped it rotating. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Still around. "Pronged Tee Nut" Why it was ever called a tee nut I'm not sure.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Very robust, but not suitable for OP with the rear being inaccessible.

Reply to
newshound

What is it you're fixing? Why can't you use a wood screw instead of a bolt? If the object is light you could cut a bolt thread into the wood for the bolt. Is the object going to be changed often? If not, and there's enough space behind the wood, you could use a toggle fixing.

Reply to
Dave W

Alternatively, a dowel screw might be useable (depending on the detail of the application), although it's kind of the mirror image of the description:

GMM