Wood overlay flooring on vinyl on chipboard

Having ripped up the old carpet, we are getting ready to lay wood (eucalyptus saligna T&G) over the particle board. An unexpected problem has arisen in the kitchen, which is now part of one big kitchen-dining-living room. The vinyl that is glued to the particle board is very resistant to being removed. (I don't believe that this has asbestos backing - if so that will be an additional complication).

It has just occurred to me that instead of spending hours and getting blisters in removing the vinyl, it may be possible to use levelling compound to smooth the transition to the bare particle board, then attach the overlay flooring directly to the vinyl. The flooring will be glued down using Selley's Direct Stick, which a builder friend has assured me is the ideal adhesive for this purpose. I will consult him about the vinyl idea, but I'd like to get a second (third, fourth etc.) opinion from this newsgroup. Will this adhesive stick properly to vinyl? Any tricks/tips?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

You can look on the tin and see what it says about sticking to plastic. If gluing the wood down is your choice.

Asbestos isnt a backing, its in old vinyl tiles. No complication, its well bound and harmless.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Quite, a wood floor needs to move as it expands and contracts with varying moisture content. I'd have thought overall gluing of a wood floor to any substrate is asking for trouble. Glueing the boards to each other yes but not down.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

This is a common practice here.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Gib Bogle

Gib Bogle

Yes - and I'm not sure I'd even want to glue them together. Thinking about this though, I expect it would all work out if the wood were very thin, so it couldnt exert any great force, and if it were already dried to final water content, thus avoiding any big shrinkage. If its being glued down all over I expect it could happily be 1/4" thick.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

NT