Wood Glues

That actually proves his point. It's a glue for large, low local stress, joints.

Like tacking insulation up.

It all cracked within weeks when I used it outside.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In my case it was >75% area coverage on 11" x 8' ply sheets screwed to the sides of double stacked joists (2 lots of 4x2") to stiffen them up.

I'd have loved to use epoxy, but it would have taken several pints worth - and as I have about 60 screws per sheet, the glue was just an auxillary mechanism.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In that case, what does he mean by 'gaped and foamed'? Because that's exactly what I'm talking about. It fills gaps and sticks like shit.

You're supposed to cover it with paint if it's exposed.

Reply to
grimly4

Yup indeed - good for that application - but to be fair that is a non critical application that does not demand ultimate bond strength - just something that sticks like shit to a blanket on irregular surfaces!

A half lap joint or some other cabinet makers joint on the other hand has a different set of requirements. (note the article was focussed particularly on furniture making applications)

Reply to
John Rumm

He (i.e. me) means in applications like a mortice an tenon joint or a lap joint or some other part of furniture construction.

(remember this is an article in Fine Woodworking Magazine, and as such was not analysing the properties of the glues from the point of being general building or DIY adhesives, but was looking specifically from the wood working perspective)

Indeed - ideal for sticking sheets of low density insulation to an irregular surface well enough that they won't fall off. A very different requirement from a "stronger than wood" bond in a joint.

Reply to
John Rumm