Wood glue

What do people recommend as wood glue for general carpentry? I'm looking for the cheapest that will do a sound job, and what I last bought is inadequte.

NT

Reply to
NT

Toolstation D4 item no 61864 5.98/ltr is very good however avoid their Bondloc D3 adhesive as it has a very low initial tack and takes ages to dry sufficiently to take clamps off and progress the job.

The D4 is waterproof but I prefer to use a PU for work that will remain out in all weathers. Toolstation PU 93568/52489 (5 minute/30 minute) is £9.96 for 750grams. even with care it will be useless within a few weeks so unless you have a big job to do, most PU glues work out very expensive.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

white carpenters glue like evostik

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are you sure of that? I have a bottle of Gorilla Glue - that I have always assumed to be PU - that I bought last summer and used a couple of weeks ago with no problems.

Reply to
Andrew May

If you are not worried about setting time, then bulk containers of PVA as sold for cement admix and general PVAing tasks will be adequate. FOr posher carpentry I usually use one of the yellow alphatic glues with tackifierers like TiteBond.

If its not going outside, then a non waterproof PVA will be sightly easier to cleanup which may matter if finishing with polish etc that is going to leave the wood visible.

In what way, and what did you buy?

Reply to
John Rumm

So it was more wouldn't glue then? grin

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If it is the brown foaming stuff, then I have found that even the small amount of water vapour left in the bottle will turn it solid. I've not used the gorilla brand however so maybe that is different?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

PU certainly has a limited shelf life IME, although I have usually found it better than "a few weeks". It will depend on many things though like storage conditions, and the amount of ambient moisture that can get into the bottle once its been opened.

Reply to
John Rumm

I got a cheap deal on a batch of PU (which I believe Gorilla Glue is) because it was close to its use by date.

I used some well after the date and it did not seem impaired. I suspect a lot has to do with storage and the dates are probably based on storage at the highest expected temperatures (say 25C plus in a southern european country) so if stored at 20C or less, in the UK, you've probably got longer.

Alos, like medicines, it does not immediately drop dead 1 second after the date, but becomes less effective as time progresses.

Reply to
Tim Watts

And assuming it is stored dry rather than in damp/humid conditions...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thats what I thought. Last time I bought pva I saw a very cheap deal on a gallon of pva at SF and figured it said 48% pva, so it should be ok, and bravely tried it. I dont normally touch their No Nonsense brand, but did and the result is fairly poor.

It just doesnt have the strength it should. 1x1 Joints can be broken apart by hand, its a lot weaker than the wood. I've been using it without dilution, and clamping smooth flat joints, albeit not very hard.

That begs the question what brands of general purpose gallon pva have been found to be fine?

NT

Reply to
NT

What do non white carpenters glue like?

Reply to
dennis

May not be the cheapest but I've always got great results with Cascamite

Reply to
Wesley

Seems odd... I have not really had a PVA that has not been able to make a reasonably decent joint if given enough time. What sort of wood? was it particularly waxy?

I have used the TS D3 stuff - IIRC the bond strength was ok, but it takes a while to set.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've been using Durabond for the past decade and not had any complaints.

Reply to
grimly4

I've had some stored in the fridge and it is fine two years after first opening. However, it is important to store it upside down (nozzle down). Easiest way is to store the bottle nozzle down in an old tumbler. That way any hard film which does form is away from the nozzle.

Reply to
Peter Parry

indoor use, and a wide range of things. I don't rely on general purpose glue for safety critical joints.

creeps after setting you mean?

cheers, NT

Reply to
NT

the restorer/enthusiastic historicist.

Somewhere I read the article that this link refers to.

PU glues came out of this testing very poorly.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

k, thank you