Wood for shuttering

A small query:

any ideas of the cheapest wood suitable for shuttering when laying a concrete base for a workshop?

I have this skinflint horror of just using wood for shuttering then 'throwing it away' but realistically the cost of the wood is likely to be trivial compared to the cost of the other components such as skips and concrete.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

For a similar exercise I went to a reclaim yard and got some virtually unsaleable wooden fascia boards. They had the length and depth I needed. Price? I can't remember if I was charged or not but it would have been very low.

mark

Reply to
mark

Gravel board is pretty cheap, and handy for all sorts of jobs.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Euro Pallets.

Have a look for your local PVC sign makers they usually cant get rid of em quick enough.

8ft long x 6ft wide.

Just disassemble and off you go

Scaffolding firms usually have some old, damaged scaffold boards that they are quite happy to give away. Just cut off the damaged bits.

Reply to
Bruce

I was once given a load of damaged pallets for firewood. I generated more heat trying to take them apart than I did burning them. Perhaps they are less well made these days. Thanks - will have a look.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Good thought - they are also suitable for reuse once recovered after the concrete has set.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

If a scaffold company has chucked the boards reuse as scaffold boards is probably not recomended. In fact the scaffols company might be a bit cagey about passing on old boards even if you say what you want them for.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I saw that and the same thought crossed my mind.

Because all my recent shed building has been on a slightly sloping site, I opted to do a foundation and a mini concrete block wall to get my levels and then I poured the concrete inside that. And then by going up one more block level, I was able to build the woodwork without major concerns about the footings getting wet.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Wouldn't reuse them as scaffold boards - but they are big chunks of wood.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Having had to lay several bases here on the farm, I bit the bullet and bought new sawn untreated 2"x 7" which I have reused several times. I started buying 'release oil' which stops the concrete sticking, but reading the label it is mainly diesel, so now I spray them with red diesel the night before pouring - doesn't need very mush at all to be effective. When they finally get to the end of their life (too short / warped/ holes etc) they get cut up with the chain saw and put on the wood burner.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I bought 6 scaffold boards to top up a few I had already, when I had a particularly deep concrete pour (for a chicken shed) - after use the good ones were kept for their original use, and the grotty ones are now in use as anti snuffle boards round an electric fenced area that my Gloucester Old Spots piglets are ploughing up

I was paying £14 for new boards (Stamco), and the local reclaim place wanted £13 so needless to say I went for the new ones!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks - very useful. Do you really need 'release oil' (sounds a bit suspect, really)? I thought a good belt with a club hammer normally jolted shuttering loose.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

message

laying a

likely

skips

times. I

Makes a huge difference, especially if you want to reuse the timber as I did. Stops the cement bearing water penetrating the pores of the timber so doesn't stick.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson