Wood for laminating

I want to make some thin, curved objects and the obvious method would be to make them from laminated wood.

I don't need a huge quantity, maybe just enough to make a total running length of a metre or two, with a width of 5cm and a thickness of 8-10 mm

Are there companies that supply wood of a suitable thickness ? Ordinary veneer seems too thin, while conventional sizes of wood are too thick.

Reply to
Roly

Model shops. Do it in thin plywood. Sizes from 1/64" up to 1/8" usually stocked, with luck in 1 meter lengths, so you will have to join bits.

Otherwise contact SLEC and you can get as well as balsa, IIRC bass, spruce mahoignay and maple in various thicknesses. They may even cut you a special length.

Slec UK Limited Units 8-10 Norwich Road Industrial Est Watton, Norfolk, IP25 6DR Tel: 01953 885279 Fax: 01953 889393 Email: snipped-for-privacy@slecuk.com

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I made up curved glazing beads as laminates, using 5 layers of 2.5mm sapele. This was very straight grained and I simply cut up boards on the table saw with the fence set to 2.5mm - very quick and easy.

Reply to
dom

Use veneer. A good supplier (I use Robbins in Bristol) will have suitable "constructional" veneers in 1.5mm and 3mm, as well as the thinner "decorative" veneers.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That's exactly the sort of answer I needed. I didn't know that veneer came in any thicknesses other than imoractically thin for my purposes.

Now I know where to ask and what to ask for - many thanks.

Reply to
Roly