Wood floor underlay

Just been looking at some solid wood floor options (and possibly laminate too, although wood is preferred). Was looking at something along the lines of the B&Q Select range - not necessarily that particular brand, but that style of smaller, coated wooden sections.

This is to be laid on top of ground-floor floorboards from front door, through the hallway and on a small landing.

I've been comparing the different underlays. I don't need a waterproof membrane as the floor is above an open cellar and not in contact with the ground (it rests on joists) and the floor surface is quite even, so it'd just be for noise reduction and further smoothing.

I've seen the cheaper, thinner rolls of white underlay and the more expensive, thicker, sheets of green stuff. They both seem easy enough to work with, but will I gain any benefit from the thick stuff? If I go for wood then that's going to add at least 20mm on to the floor height, I reckon. Much more than that and the transition to the carpeted lounge area's going to be rather steep! As long as the new floor feels and sounds solid underfoot for years to come, I'll be happy.

Thanks.

Reply to
JustMe