Wood ----ed

Hi

outdoor wood, splitting warping and beginning to get fungus. Its still strong enough though, but clearly this is the last chance to save it. I've glooped it well with wood preserver, but it still has numerous split/cracks for water to get in. Anything I could do to prolong its life?

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Erect a shed round it?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

you could tar it but it will look yuck you could aplly clear silicone along the cracks and then varnish over the top

Reply to
Mindwipe

I wonder. It basically has 2 problems.

First the wood is covered in cracks, and I did wonder about filling them by wiping the whole thing with filler, but silicone might be better.

Second all the main lengths of wood are made from 2 flat pieces nailed together, might as well have a sign on it saying 'water enter here'. I spose I could sililcone it all? Yeah, i would need a lot of gunk but I guess its worthwhile. Thank you.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Hi,

What sort of wood is it and where is it? How is it joined?

A wood preserver won't necessarily stop algae growing on it, or the oils being leeched out. For that danish oil or one of the shed and fence preservers which are wax based with a biocide will do.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I presume either spruce or pine, dont actually know. Its a handmade construction in the garden. Joined... not very well, just butted up and nailed.

I've used shed stuff on it, its the numerous cracks Im concenred about, the water will just bypass the treated surface.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Coat teh lot in polyester resin. Optionally with glass cloth.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi,

If the cracks are along the grain I wouldn't worry too much, rot tends to attack end grain so the surface would go first. OTOH if it's cracking across the grain (checking) that could be the onset of rot. Soaking preserver into the cracks should help in any case.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Its along the grain cracking, not across like dry rot cracks. I've preserved it all, but I doubt thats going to get into the cracks any more than very patchily.

Its a nice piece of woodwork, but unfortunately poorly executed IMHO. The use of 2 strips nailed together in place of solid 2x4 etc is just a recipe for rot.

Thanks, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton