Wood burning stove in workshop - flue outlet height

I happen to have a wood burning stove available for use.

I also happen to be building a large workshop/store/whatever at the bottom of the garden (you may have noticed).

I plan to install (or have installed) the stove in the middle of the front of the building. This would make the flue approximately 4m from each of the three surrounding fences.

I have looked at:

from this it looks as though the flue outlet needs to be at least 600mm above the highest point of the roof. Given that I am constrained to a heaight of 2.5m for the highest point of the roof this would give a flue outlet height of 3.1m minimum. In old money, this is around 10' off the ground. This would be at the level of the first floor of the surrounding houses (including ours).

All well and good, but is there a minimum overall height for a flue?

10' is not that much higher than the average washing line, and in our case we have a neighbour 2 gardens away who has a washing line on a huge pole - it is a bit like hoisting signal flags when the fleet comes into port :-)

I suppose the situation is similar to a flat roofed bungalow (although you can't build those now) near to a double storey house.

I think that if I go to about 4m off the ground then I should be O.K. - assuming that the smoke rises at a reasonable rate - but I was wondering if there was any absolute rule about minimum height for a chimney? I don't want to end up with 6m or more of pipe sticking up above the roof! Google has not so far been my friend. Any stove installers out there?

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

David WE Roberts wibbled on Friday 11 December 2009 17:40

sorry - rushing to a bath - but I'm sure one of the approved docs (building regs) has some pretty diagrams regarding stove flues - I'm sure I notived them the other week.

Happy to have a dig later tonight.

Reply to
Tim W

I don't think Building Regs specify a minimum height for a flue outlet above ground level, only a minimum height above the roof of the building it's in - and your shed may fall outside the scope of the regs anyway.

But - and it's a big but - the taller surrounding buildings nearby may cause odd air pressure variations depending on the direction and strength of the wind, possibly resulting in chimney downdraughts.

Practically, you'll have to light it and see. But the higher you can get that flue outlet, the better.

Reply to
dom

The instructions that came with my stove said at least 12 feet above the hearth.

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Thanks - that ties in with 4m+ in the air :-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts