Wood burning stove in a conservatory

I am contemplating having a new conservatory built. This will join onto an = existing single storey hipped-roof extension to the main house.

Rather than extend central heating to the conservatory, I thought a wood bu= rning stove might be an idea.But I was wondering about building regs re: fl= ues in this situation. I think I've read that the flue stack needn't extend= vertically more than 1m. above the extension roof (ridge?). I've not got e= xperience of wood burning stoves so am not sure how important this actually= is? e.g. problems with down-draft.

Any advice/comments?

Cheers.

Chris S

Reply to
Chris S

Consult building regs and stove manufacturers. BTW this is an excellent idea..get one with a self cleaning glass.

Use a double skinned SS flue - that gets round any need to make a flue out of masonry. IIRC you can also get 'flue through a roof' plates that take care of flashing as well.

Build a BIG tiled hearth with room to stack wood.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1

The building regs for flues has lots of useful diagrams (google should turn up a copy, it's a public document).

The biggest problem would be siting the flue end far enough away/high enough above other windows in the house as this is a conservatory.

You don't want a bad wind blowing a load of CO straight back into the building and the building regs take this little problem into account.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Possibly not but it does depend on the position. The building regs documentation is fairly clear

Yep.

Advisable if the stve is going to used unatteneded. Though I think there are regs that try to insist that you have one.

Depends on how much use the stove is going to get the average conservatory would only need a little stove so wouldn't burn that much wood and if it's only used occasionally rather than every day a corner in the shed or garage would be enough.

IIRC And they are filthy, SWMBO will soon get fed up I suspect.

True enough but there is something "nice" about a real fire, the heat seems warmer, the gentle glow and flickering flames comforting. Though I do doubt the wisdom of one in a conservatory, is that area really going to get used in the dark days of winter?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We have a wood burner in the bedroom. fed with air by a pipe to the loft.

It shortens 'days in bed with flue'' remarkably in winter. :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

n existing single storey hipped-roof extension to the main house.

burning stove might be an idea.But I was wondering about building regs re: flues in this situation. I think I've read that the flue stack needn't exte nd vertically more than 1m. above the extension roof (ridge?). I've not got experience of wood burning stoves so am not sure how important this actual ly is? e.g. problems with down-draft.

Just in case anyone comes across this thread in future and need advice i au thored an article on the subject on my google+ page below. Feel free to con tact me for advice.

p77KHoYo

Reply to
agwa69

COO so we just cluck on the lunk you kundly provuded?

How do we know you're not an interweb imposter upto no good??

Jum K

Reply to
JimK

According to Google the page is:

2014-06-29 - Google+
Jun 29, 2014 - Start here and read all about how to do it
html. StoveMaestro Manchester Wood Burning Stoves's ...

I smell a tinned meat product toasting gently on a woodburner ...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Just in case anyone comes across this thread in future and need advice i authored an article on the subject on my google+ page below. Feel free to contact me for advice.

Good info here on the topic.

harryagain

Just in case anyone comes across this thread in future and need advice i authored an article on the subject on my google+ page below. Feel free to contact me for advice.

Try and get a stove with primary secondary and tertiary air intakes or pyrolising. They are cleaner, more efficient, use less wood. Also room sealed is a big advantage. A lot of stoves have conversion kits for this. (No draughts into the room)

Reply to
harryagain

Assuming that this is a plastic conservatory, I'd be very wary. Wood burning stoves in small sizes can be very difficult to set to a low output level. The radiated heat/conducted from the chimney can be very significant. melting plastic anyone?

Reply to
Capitol

/Capitol

- show quoted text - Assuming that this is a plastic conservatory, I'd be very wary. Wood burning stoves in small sizes can be very difficult to set to a low output level. The radiated heat/conducted from the chimney can be very significant. melting plastic anyone/q

Burns well!

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

emaestro.co.uk/article4. html. StoveMaestro Manchester Wood Burning Stoves' s ...

Errr.... it's a free article telling people the basic rules and regs of doi ng it which i provided a link to. No-one is required to buy anything, but i f they read it and think it's useful and want to contact me for help that i s OK too.

Judging by some of the nonsense spouted in here you would think a bit of ac tual knowledge would be welcomed!

By the way "melting pvc anyone". The melting point of upvc is over 200 degr ees C and it also can't catch fire and burn because because it has such a h igh chlorine content. Any competent stove installer knows you have to leave certain safe distances around the stove so it could never be close enough to upvc to heat it to anything like 200 deg c.

Sorry for knowing the answer and sharing it for free though....

Reply to
agwa69

e:

s's ...

oing it which i provided a link to. No-one is required to buy anything, but if they read it and think it's useful and want to contact me for help that is OK too.

actual knowledge would be welcomed!

grees C and it also can't catch fire and burn because because it has such a high chlorine content. Any competent stove installer knows you have to lea ve certain safe distances around the stove so it could never be close enoug h to upvc to heat it to anything like 200 deg c.

errrr.... Which answer are you claiming to know and sharing for free?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I suspect that he's reading this on one of those parasitic scraping sites and has gained his impressions over there. No usenet at all, is my guess.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Would be nice if you did. PVC flows from about 65C. I have some vinyl blinds used in a workshop which are scrap as a result of plastic flow in sunlight. The wood burning stove also had the same effect on the same blinds, this is where the stove is not exiting through a PVC roof, but the hot air layer at ceiling level was, I guess, at 60C. The combination of a wood burning stove and a PVC conservatory IMO is a no no as many small woodburning stoves can produce unwanted amounts of heat if wrongly operated. PVC windows suffer from warping in everyday use, normally not much and the seals can cope. Under hot climate conditions, it is a known hazard. Do some homework!

Reply to
Capitol