wonky floorboards

Hi

Over the past couple of years I have noticed that my house has an increased number of noticeably wonky floorboards.

When I first moved in five years ago this problem only occurred in a couple of rooms. I now have wonky floorboards in five rooms and was wondering why this has happened over the past couple of years.

Could I have a structural problem or is it the age of the property? It was built in 1920 and there has been no work done to the flooring since.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Helen

Reply to
Helen Findlay

What exactly do you mean by wonky? What work has been done to the house in recent years - heating, insulation etc?

Reply to
Rob Morley

There has been no work done to the house in at least five years.

The floorboards upstairs in some areas seem looser and move noticeably when walking over them and downstairs there is a slight incline where they seem lower than the rest of the room. Not hugely but I have noticed this over the last few months.

Reply to
Helen Findlay

I'd lift one loose one and have a look at the joists underneath. I came across one 20s house where this was caused by woodworm. :-(

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Helen Findlay writes

Easily fixed with a few screws or nails.

Hmm, that could indicate a problem with the joists - such as some rot at the end where it is supported by the wall.

I'd lift a few boards and have a peek

Reply to
chris French

when was the CH and/or double glazing installed. The wood might have just shrunk due to newly dry conditions.

john

Reply to
John

I have also seen cases where two boards being butted together are not over a joist but use the tounge and groove edges for support. Eventually the tounges give way and the board flexes ... over time the tounge gets ripped back to the last supporting joist.

This is not so easy to fix with screws and nails alone.

Also, when replacing screws and nails be careful where you screw. I tend replace with a nail/screw of about the same length and use the same hole if possible as wires and pipes are often notched into the top of joists (they are *usually* in the centre ... but you never know).

If you can do so without damageing things further, lifting the board and having a look is a good idea ... but bear in mind that lifting and replacing boards will often cause more squeaks.

Alex

Reply to
AlexW

Floorboards often work loose with time. Usually they are nailed down. Try screwing the loose ones down to the joists (make sure you don't go through any pipes or cables though!).

A slight incline probably is just caused by the joists sagging with age. However, if this had dropped noticably in a few months, I would suggest that you get it checked out.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

That could be shrinkage caused by central heating reducing humidity. If that's the case they can be probably be secured by screwing down, being careful to avoid plumbing and wiring that might be underneath.

That could be wet rot or similar damage to the joists, usually where they are supported by a masonry wall. Best to lift the boards to have a look.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Do you have a hatch somewhere to get under the boards without lifting them?

Reply to
AlexW