Women and thermostats

As it happens, mister, our Ideal Isar boiler's thermostat makes the boiler heat up faster if the water temperature is lower.

So if you turn up the thermostat well beyond the temperature you want then the water to the radiators heats up much faster.

Some men may not understand this sophistication but most women will get it straight away. :-)

Having said that, sometimes the boiler seems to have a mind of it's own and needs switching off completely to reset something. I'm told it's not the world's greatest boiler.

Reply to
pamela

Your wife is highly effective but you are merely efficient. :-)

Reply to
pamela

Use a microwave. Milk in container in which it is to be consumed means no pan to wash afterwards. And you can go to the loo with no chance of the milk 'boiling over'.

It's the modern way y'know.

Office Conference Rooms with Air Conditioning are more interesting. The setting will be 30 or 15. some women have been know to bring in a fan heater.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Somehow the idea of women wearing warmer clothing to make up for their relative coldness has never caught on. Too simple, I suppose.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

What happened to the ability to have fresh air at face level, but still have warm feet?

It seems simple to bleed air off before the heater matrix, but I guess it costs money they would rather spend on "sexier", or more marketable, details.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Never read a post from Mr Pounder then?

Reply to
ARW

I blame television.

None of the women on Sex Box on ITV were wearing a woolly pully.

I suppose TV studios are pretty warm though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Get what:-)?

Reply to
ARW

The landlady of some digs I was in when I first left home to get work was the opposite.

She was always turning thermostats down, at least in the rooms we inhabited like the lounge/common room. Eventually one of the lads who had access to cans of freezer spray at work brought one back every so often. A good spray on the thermostat so it registered the room was exceptionally cold used to ensure the heating ran long enough that at least we could watch the telly with our coats off.

I do wish the car could have an option in its electronic brains that that sets the heating requirements on a hidden menu and disables the normal controls on the heating and AC console. The missus could then fiddle to her hearts content. God knows what combination she set one night soon after we set off but it caused the interior of the screen to mist up so fast that I had to stick my head out of the window to bring the car to stop in a safe position.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Depends on the maker. I've always found BMW's systems to be absolutely spot on. Nicely controlled, no overshooting, no dumping of super hot/cold air etc. Pretty well set & forget. Maybe half a degree higher in winter compared to summer but that's it. OTOH, my old (2002!) Jag system was hopeless. It had all manner of solar & cabin sensors but couldn't make a decent fist of keeping a steady temperature to save its life.

Reply to
Scott M

I occasionally do an equipment check/inventory in a call centre. It's always blazing hot and after 5 minutes of light walking round or peering above ceiling tiles I am wondering just how much I can get away with talking off. But then I'll look around and be guaranteed to spot a woman pulling on another cardigan or wrapping round their scarf extra tightly. Argh.

Reply to
Scott M

endothermic

  1. Chemistry (of a reaction or process) accompanied by or requiring the absorption of heat. (of a compound) requiring a net input of heat for its formation from its constituent elements.
  2. Zoology (of an animal) dependent on or capable of the internal generation of heat.

I suspect you mean they are ectothermic - needing external heat. My wife, however, is definitely endothermic. Nice on a cold night!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I don't want a steady temperature at some level defined by a temperature scale. I want to be able to set the temperature of the incoming air, as measured by my body, to some comfortable level. Y'know, like we used to be able to do.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You mean that the boiler looks at the difference between the water temp and the desired temp, and puts heat in at a greater or lower rate accordingly? Can't be oil then.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I wasn't aware of the zoological meaning, thanks. Ectothermic it is.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Reminds me of a conversation on the radio probably ~20 years ago with the traffic controller in New York...

"We disconnected all the pedestrian buttons on the traffic lights

10 years ago - we don't want pedestrians messing up the signal timings and making the jams worse."

Interviewer: "But there's a crossing button on the new lights near my block?"

"Oh sure - we have to fit them so there's something for the pedestrians to press, but they aren't connected to anything."

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If this is a statement on the part of the interviewer, and not a question, WTF is there a question mark at the end of it?

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Tim Streater writes

It is a statement, but spoken by the interviewer as a question, so the question mark makes perfect sense, even though the grammar may not.

Reply to
News