WM Standpipe & Trap - Distance? - Gully or Soil pipe

The Washing Machine is in the utility room.

Standpipe and trap.

What is the maximum length of waste pipe to use to connect to

  1. Gully?

  1. Soil pipe?

Also there is an inspection chamber to the drain with a solid cover. Chamber is a simple concrete four sided box structure. I don't know how I would be able to use this.

FrancisJK

Reply to
FrancisJK

Not sure that there is a maximum length per se. The important thing is that it has an appropriate fall on it so that the water runs away - so the max practical length is probably dictated by the relative levels of trap/gulley/soil pipe etc.

Is that a question? If so, the answer is "with difficulty"! You would have to drill a hole through the side wall of the chamber and take your pipe through that. Not the easiest of things to drill! If you were only discharging liquids into the chamber, you could simply dump them at a high level. If there are any solids involved, you would need to fit a vertical pipe inside the chamber to take the waste down to invert level. Best to discuss with your local Building Control department before contemplating doing *anything* to the chamber.

Reply to
Set Square

Thanks for that. Have since come across Tables for max lengths of various appliances and pipe diameters.

4 metre seems to be the max for washing machine UNLESS an air admittance valve is included in the run.

There is a gully that the gutters run into, but I don't know where it empties. It might be a surface water drain or even a soakaway.

The original gully that WM emptied into, is on other side of kitchen. To use it, I would have to run pipe around three sides of the kitchen or else run under the kitchen floor. If under floor I don't know if there would be a continuous fall to gully.

Will be checking that out over weekend.

Thanks for help.

FrancisJK

Reply to