Withholding answering from telephone calls from withheld numbers.

Callers have a right to withhold their numbers. Shouldn't those called have the reciprocal right to withhold answering when the calls are from withheld numbers ? I would like to be able to have an answer message "This telephone does not respond to calls from withheld numbers." Is there a way to do it ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

BT charge for 'anonymous call reject', £4.30/month. It should be free IMO.

Adrian C

There is an option at least on a BT landline to do exactly that. ISTR it is even one option that you can get in certain "free" bundles. They call it anonymous call rejection. Prefix 1470 to get past it

old that site so could be out of date)

There is also "Choose to refuse" which costs more and is a double edged sword when used by vulnerable elderly folk.

Reply to
Martin Brown

>Good link but I don't think it solves the problem of nuisance callers, which I think was the OP's intention. See the paragraph "Are there any calls which Anonymous Call Rejection will be unable to block?" near the bottom.

The ones which disturb my after-lunch nap are of the International variety.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

AIUI, the system has insufficient information to tell whether a furrin caller has blocked their number.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What annoys me about International calls is that the CLI is rarely if ever shown. I see no reason for not showing the source country. - and where do those 00845 6009884 calls come from? - Vietnam?

Reply to
Michael Chare

That's a BT thing. If you divert your BT calls to another carrier, you do very much more often get international callerid, because although BT won't tell you, they do pass it on to other carriers who will tell you.

Something making up a duff callerid?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

When I receive international calls on my UK mobile, caller ID is shown; I find it annoying that those same numbers appear as International on my BT line, and Unavailable on BT's BroadbandTalk.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Man at B&Q :

Exactly. That's what callers with permanently withheld CLID can do to get past your ACR. Either that or they can get the operator to place the call.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Yes I agree there, two this morning, and at least one per day. I'd go further though, I'd like to not block all with held numbers, just those coming from outside of the uk. These dingbats with scams and stupid sales calls from malasia or wherever seem to be imune to the tps and just cause wasted time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe the international ones could be cut off by a silence detector? I notice most of these have at least two seconds of silence before you hear anything. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe this would help?

winning design on Dragons Den a while back.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

A job for a Rasberry Pi, or one of my repurposed ex-thin-clients. Hmm... I have a PACE UK CLID compatible ISA modem somewhere.

I listened to Truecall's demo sales pitch on their website sometime ago. They've practially given away the whole design description allowing any decent programmer to knock up a clone.

Reply to
Adrian C

>Does that 'compensate' them from not collecting a termination charge from whoever makes the call?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Overkill for you perhaps, but my Asterisk box does that very nicely!

Reply to
Bob Eager

The hardwares the tricky part. They do it for under 100 quid IIRC. Hard pushed to do that for the same price unless you can manufacture it in China.

It can by DIYd fairly easilly with a PC running Asterisk and suitable hardware - either a plug-in PCI card or external ATA, but how much time have you got to do it if you're not familiar with Linux, asterisk, etc....

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Get a Truecall box. I've set ours to block all withheld and international calls.

Reply to
Reentrant

Since I left BT I still don't get this information. For some reason all international calls still show as "Unavailable".

It's possible to spoof CLI information.

Reply to
Mark

Yes, I make all my outgoing calls via a VoIP service and I usually spoof my BT landline as my caller ID, or one of several VoIP DDIs that I have. I occasionly spoof my mobile number.

The provider I use allows me to present any number I chose as CLI, provided I prove that I can receive a test call to it and respond with a pre-advised PIN.

Reply to
Graham.

except that you would be in breach of their patent

(If that bothers you)

tim

Reply to
tim....