Wise to drill between two ceramic tiles?

I want to hang something up in my kitchen and I need to drill some holes into the ceramic (pottery) tiles.

I'd like to have a symettrical look and this means drilling one of the holes right in between two tiles.

I'll use the correct spear-shaped drill bit, apply little pressure and make sure the bit is kept cool during drilling.

QUESTION: Is drilling between two tiles (they look about 20 years old) so likely to chip, crack or otherwise damage them that I'd be much better off drilling somewhere else on the tile?

Reply to
David Peters

Never tried it,but if you do drill use the smallest bit first to drill a pilot hole then proceed with correct size bit..

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I would warm the tiles, take another warm tile, covered in wax, and then apply it to the place that the hole is wanted. Leave to cool. Now, drill slowly. Warm up to remove.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

What does the wax do?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It's quite possible to drill tiles that are fixed with an ordinary masonry drill in a hammer drill (pref with variable speed), but it does depend how they are fixed, ie, how much adhesive is behind the spot you are drilling. Lots of adhesive and no voids then it's OK.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

It's just a sort of glue, that's easily removable. Commonly used in precision glassworking.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Great! now how does he cover the tile in wax bearing in mind its in a vertical position?

ps masking tape will suffice although I'm still confused as to what the wax does?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It's not vertical. Try reading "take another warm tile, covered in wax, and then apply it to the place that the hole is wanted" again.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Nope! I'm flummexed as to whats happening here? the op has tiles on his kitchen wall that are about 20 years old?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Warm the tiles on the wall, using a heater. Now, take a warm tile that you don't want, and pour some hot, liquid wax on it. (take care not to overheat and pour on hands/feet/...) Apply the tile to the wall, and hold it while it cools.

The idea is that you then drill through the tile you've just applied, and the hole provides lots of support for the bit, rather than it bouncing around everywhere.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Thats better, happy as larry now. ;-) allthough a small masonary bit just a bit bigger than a match will suffice as it won't bounce then finish off with the normal size.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

If you want to do it in complete safety, gring the hole.,

Get some valve grinding paste from a car shop and use a nail of the correct diameter. Smear the place with paste and use the nail to grind the hole. Boring but safe.

Reply to
EricP

Is that what you do round a gspot?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I really don't understand why the need to do all this wax applying! I have on many occasions successfully drilled in the grout lines of tiles. The method I use is to use a tile drill bit in a cordless drill (power drill will work but usually heavier to hold). Position the drill bit where you want the hole and with your 'free' hand cup the nose of the drill and start drilling, at the same time as holding the drill away from the wall slightly. The drill bit will then cut into the tile edges and oce you have a full diameter hole drill as normal. I hope that makes sense, it does to me but I know what I am trying to explain!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Holy shit. Is this something you've done or is this in the 'seems like a good idea' category ?

P.

Reply to
zymurgy

Used to do a lot of work on glass and that was the only way to get clean cuts. It also applies to ceramics. Doesn't take that long. :oPPP

Reply to
EricP

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember David Peters saying something like:

Use a good masonry bit and go slow. I've drilled many holes in the grouting and never had a problem. What works in your favour is the tiles are well secured to the wall and all grouted in - they can't move in any direction so the hole just gets drilled with no drama.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

dont know what all the fuss is about. i have drilled in the middle of tiles, between tiles and also at a meeting place of 4 tiles with the same procedure. I use a hammer drill but without hammer action until i get through the tile. The only non-slip thing i use is masking tape but go slow at first. When i am through the tile (the hardest part) then on to hammer action and no problems.

One thing to bear in mind is that on 1 occasion when i was using a plug, make sure it goes right through to the wall. i left the plug flush with the tile once and when putting in the screw, the arrow like grip things got caught in the tile and whilst tightening the screw, i was actually pulling the tile closer. Ended up with a cracked tile. you live and learn.

Reply to
lavenders19