Wirquin Jollyflush

I noticed my cistern is passing a bit af water into the bowl all the time. I took the flush mechanism out to check it over and it all seems in good order except that the sealing washer/diaphram has a small moulded bump on it. I wondered if this is normal. Has anyone dealt with one and can confirm? If the clean I gave it does not give a fix then I guess I may be looking at the seal between the mechanism and the cistern.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Sure it's not overflowing? Most modern cisterns overflow via the flush pipe.

Check the ballcock...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@squidward.local.dionic.net:

No - definately not reaching the top of the tube. Level gets lower over time.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I have on that always does that unless you give it a full flush. I know I should replace the mechanism but haven't summoned up the energy.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Jonathan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

See the little bump - it seems counter intuitive to me:

DerbyBorn

Our 5 year old bog did the same. Out comes British Gas, wife loves insurance :-( and replaced the innards. Now its doing it again and I can't be arsed picking up the phone. I don't think that bump should be there.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I wonder if it's doing what ours is, something in the operating part of the mechanism is "sticking"* and is lifting the sealing washer by a fraction of a mm. Enough to let it trickle. Joggling the flush button seats it until next time....I know, it's on the list :) :)

*Think it's where the white plastic arms lift the red plastic "float", but there are no obvious signs of wear and silicon grease didn't help ;)
Reply to
Lee

Lee wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I have contacted Wirquin. Mine sticks in the flush pisition very ocassionally joggling the button fixes it - I suspect something doesn't return fully.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Assuming you have a conventional syphon, they fail "safe" and won't pass water.

So it's either overflowing (check float valve).

Or there is a leak at the point where the flush syphon passes through the base of the tank. Take tank off and remake/tighten this joint.

Reply to
harryagain

"harryagain" wrote in news:m05jom$6od$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Alas it is not a syphon. Can't see why we moved away from syphons - no seals to fail.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

One of these flapper things? Take it out, throw away and fit a syphon. Flappers are shit from the EUSSR.

Reply to
harryagain

Not quite a flapper - a rising piston with a sealing washer.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

/ Not quite a flapper - a rising piston with a sealing washer/q

FSV of sealing.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

JimK wrote in news:e395915c-56fa-4cff-9ecc- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

DerbyBorn

Neither can I. Simple, reliable, few moving parts, cheap to replace or repair.

It wasn't broken, but somebody fixed it :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman wrote in news:paWVv.497871 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx12.am:

I suppose the biggest problem with a Syphon is that people didn't recognise the symptom of needing to get brutal with the handle and it gave them a bad reputation.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

and difficult to operate remotely with the pea sized button on modern WCs

-
Reply to
Mark