Wiring up a BT socket for Broadband.

Nah. I put one in my kitchen in the last house. Very useful to have a phone in there, preferably of the speaker variety if you intend to continue to chop the veg.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Point taken...but for future reference they are fairly freely available 'on the High Street'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In my situation it was simply because there was a small boxed in pipe running from the upstairs bedroom down to the kitchen. The 'office' is above the kitchen and it was really easy to just make up a plug->socket and run the cable down the hole and mount the socket under the worktop right next to the conservatory. Now I can plug in the laptop and get broadband without having to go wireless, without the 15m extension lead I used to use, and without any major work (except about 45 minutes trying to get the wire down the hole!). Ideally the socket would have gone in the living room - however its the next best thing for the least work.

David

Reply to
David Hearn

....or do the washing up as SWMBO dictates :)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Possibly not entirely true if my experience is anything to go by: phone line was broken by tree root - result no voice line but Broadband fine.

Or fit a single splitter box in place of your BT Master box where the phone line enters the house and run a dedicated BB line from that point. Much neater than microfilters wherever you need a voice line. They're about £10.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Cocktail sticks work well in an emergency

Reply to
geoff

You obviously don't understand women and online recipes

Reply to
geoff

In message , PoP writes

Washing up ?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean there

Reply to
geoff

Doh ... A bathroom is another name for a brewery

Reply to
geoff

Or the net connected fridge that orders your groceries for you.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 20:14:06 +0000, in uk.d-i-y Richard Savage strung together this:

I no know how but ADSL will work with only one wire connected. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

In message , Bob Eager writes

I too have used the screwdriver technique on a couple of occasions - I did have one of the cheapy plastic tools, but it didn't work very well anyway, the screwdriver was much better, it was about 8 pm on Sunday night, etc. etc. sometimes needs must.

That does not mean that I don't think using the right tool for the job is a more sensible course of action.

Reply to
chris French

Phantom / capacitive earth?

A radio will work with no wires connected - surely one wire connected must be easier make work than none!

Reply to
Alistair Riddell

Nah. I have no intention of ever living without a dishwasher.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle