Wiring - regs n stuff

I want to re-wire the kitchen and as the CU is in the garage (1 wall separates) I thought it best to just go along near the ceiling in the garage, down the wall then through behind cupboards in the kitchen. Taking up all the floorboards, chopping in the wall etc does'nt appeal question is, can I just use plastic trunking in the garage or does it have to be steel/wood? or do I 'have' to go through the roof/floor space? ta in advance

Reply to
Vass

A domestic garage would not usually be considered a specially hazardous environment so plastic trunking, or even clipped to surface, would normally be considered suitable.

You will need to consider cable derating factors for grouping cables in trunking, and trunking occupancy, especially if you have an electric cooker as there won't be much spare capacity on that cable.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

ISTR 16th regs says something about vulnerable wiring in garages - potential to be bumped by car doors, plastic trunking - potential to be bumped whilst parking, steel trunking - but don't quote me.

Otherwise your scheme sounds sensible.

Reply to
dom

If the trunking were at that sort of height I'd definitely agree. Especially if the garage is used for working in.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I assumed it was an ordinary domestic garage, used for keeping things in :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yup, 1 motorbike (see below), lots of tools, and timber that will come in use one day :-)

Reply to
Vass

You can use what you like, or nothing at all. You only require conduit/trunking if there is some liklihood of mechanical interference (i.e. it is likely to be driven into). Along near the ceiling, there is no chance of that, so you could just tack the cable up with no trunking at all.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Good to know, thanks Christian, what about going through the wall? The 15mm gas pipe needed a 22mm sleeve, do cables need anything ? Thanks again

Reply to
Vass

Nope, just drill a hole and pass them through. However, you can stick some pipe sleeving through first if you like, as this will make threading the cable easier in some cases, especially if you have multiple cables, or the wall is quite crumbly (i.e. some types of brick or stone walls).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Just don't follow the example of Edinburgh council who used the tower of Greyfriars Kirk as a gunpowder store....

Owain

Reply to
Owain