wiring regs

You really don't need this depth of knowledge for a DIY house re-wire, IMHO, although top marks for keenness. The only bits most trip up on are main earthing and bonding.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I couldn't agree more!!!!!

Last winter I enrolled on a C&G 16th Edition course at the local Tech. I now know how to wire Farms, Swimming Pools and Building Sites etc - real useful to a DIY'er, oh yeah.... :-(

It's interesting that there are no evening classes for DIY'ers in the "Domestic Environment". Books too are a bit limited... Probably all down to the finances I expect...

Roy

Reply to
RzB

Perhaps you are right but mine's a biggish project 3000 sq ft building with 3 phase supply and seperate wood workshop and living accomodation so I want to be on top of it rather than make expensive c*ck up. BCO hasn't shown much interest so far but you never know. I've done small houses with no probs, pre part P whatever that is.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

all good stuff & but you do really need OSG & perhaps the regs themselves for a large job

also IEE "Electricians Guide to the Building Regs" ISBN 0-86341-463-X

1st pub 2005 fills in some of the more practical aspects not in (or not fully in) OSG: far better & more pics than in OSG..

Free & highly recommended is

'd say your 1st priority should be to understand Boone. With that you'll be able to take the rest in your stride.

..or maybe 2nd priority....1st priority should be to understand Ohm's Law & that watts =I^2R. They're about all the equations you need for

99% of domestic cabling.

HTH

Reply to
jim_in_sussex

yup, would love a copy of the wiring regs CD, but don't much like the silly money they charge for it!

Reply to
John Rumm

Even more when I bought one of them from Farnell... They had forgoton to zero rate books....

Reply to
James Salisbury

Ah. Happy reading and don't get sunburnt. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not sure you even need that. You can cable a house by rote. Just tend to be generous with the circuits - which is a good idea regardless.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)