wiring Q (physical protection)

(sent this last week - but does not seem to have appeared, so try again)

Have an double outbuilding, which has it's own feed via armored cable to a small consumer unit (TT install) ... which will provide a single 6A lighting cct. and a single16A radial cct. Not wired out yet - now time to do it :-)

I had initially thought of putting all the wiring within the building in conduit/ducting ....

I have had a re-think ... all sockets & switches will be surface mounted, and I can still proceed with conduit for the vertical drops to switches & sockets, to provide basic low impact mechanical protection.

Is there a need for the rest of wiring to be 'enclosed' or protected by using Hi-Tuff or similar.

If there isn't I could wire out with T&E and only protect the vertical drops, and have it clipped to trusses in between drops and runs back to CU. (open ceiling to trussed roof )

This is a non-habited building (in official Building Regs terms), but I do need it to be compliant with Regs as will require NICEIC cert.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Posted 17/10/10 with slightly different subject line - wiring Q (protection ?). Four replies to date ...

You seem to have problems with your newsreader/server ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

must be my reader (Outlook Express) ... I can't see my post or replies .... I'll go try looking via Google

Reply to
Rick Hughes

We've seen it... in fact in that parallel universe we've sorted the problem and are on the next job now! ;-)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Summary of answers from last version:

Yup surface wiring is fine if there is no risk of mechanical damage. You can also use conduit or trunking on sub sections like socket drops if you want. If you want posh, then stick a length of batten round the trusses etc to clip the cables to.

Reply to
John Rumm