wiring problem

I've posted this before but see post 'have i bought the wrong switches'

i have now reconfigured the wiring. to summarise i have a main light (2 way single) switch next to my door and a wall switch (two way double) which controls the main light from another location and also a completely seperate set of light. I will describe how everything is wired below .Everything works ok apart from the fact that when the main switch is on and therefore the main light is on; the switch which should switch it off/on (on the double switch) does not work. as a point to note if the main switch is off the secondary switch on the double switch does switch the main light on/off with no problems. fyi the other switch on the double controls a wall light which works as it should. to summarise i need to be able to switch the main light on and off from the double switch when the light is already switched on at the main.

heres the wiring at the main single switch which controls the main bedroom light

L1 - BLACK AND BLUE COMMON - RED L2 - RED AND YELLOW

THE CABLE WHICH CONTAINS THE RED AND BLACK CABLE FYI THIS IS RED WIRE WHICH IS IN COMMON

**************************************************************************************************************

HERE IS THE WIRING IN THE DOUBLE SWITCH

L1 - YELLOW COMMON - RED

Reply to
Neil

**************************************************************************************************************

Hi

It should be the red wire from the three core cable which is in the COMMON position on your first light switch.

You should have Red and Black (from the light switch) connected across L1 and L2 You should have the three core cable connected across L1 L2 and COMMON

Regards,

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

****=AD***********************************

im ok to follow the above

so this above means on double switch the cable which leaves the main single switch should be red to l1 and black to l2.

You should have the three core cable connected across L1 L2 and COMMON the above here means the 2 nd set of terminals but what colour wires go where. sorry for my ignorance.

Reply to
Neil

On 20 Mar 2007 02:59:48 -0700, "Neil" mused:

Sounds like you've got it worng then. The 3 core and earth cable should be wired with red in common, yellow and blue in L1 and L2. The twin and earthe should have red and black in L1 and L2.

I'm lost on this bit.

Stop posting in capitals, and post a picture. You had plenty of help in the last thread. If you can't sort it or can't manage to get us a picture, so we can help you, then you'd be better getting someone in to fix it as we don't know how your house is wired.

Reply to
Lurch

If it is a single switch (ie. just a red and black wire, and there is no second switch), then the red and black wires should be in L1 and COMMON.

If it is a switch with two locations, the red and black wires should be in L1 and L2. A three core cable is then run between the two switches (doesn't matter particularly which wires are used so long as it is the same at both ends)

It doesn't matter as long as it is the same at both ends.

Steve

Reply to
stevelup